- Pay Rate:
£230.51 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2 - 3 months
- Islington, London,
Full Job Title: Interim Transport Strategy Team Leader - Planning
Reference no: Islington RQ819715
Pay Rate: £230.51 per day PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 2 - 3 months
To lead and manage a team of Transport Planning professionals to develop policy, deliver projects, work collaboratively with transport stakeholders and authorities, and support the delivery of the objectives of both the Transport Strategy and the Vision 2030: Net Zero Carbon Strategy.
To provide a specialist professional service and to manage a team of assigned professional, technical, and support staff dealing in two or more of the specialist areas of work within the Service including: Spatial planning, Transport planning, Urban design, Project and programme management, Development viability and developer contributions and Economic development.
To take responsibility for managing budgets of up to £500,000.
You must be prepared to work outside office hours to attend meetings when required.
Duties and Responsibilities to include:
- To deputise for the Head of Service in his/her absence with respect to the functions of the Team, and the wider interests of the Service as required. These deputising roles are likely to be frequent and onerous.
- As a senior member of the Team to be jointly responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the assigned Team and to contribute to Service-wide management and technical functions as required; to ensure Service Management Team decisions are carried out as appropriate.
- To provide, maintain, develop, design, implement and pro-actively improve the services provided by the Service in accord with policy and in particular: are efficiently and effectively discharged with the active participation of the local community, the voluntary sector, business and specialist groups and other key stakeholders as appropriate using appropriate consultative techniques, are accessible to all members of the community and geared to their needs, are of a high quality commensurate with available resources and represent value for money in meeting the Customer and Client expectations and requirements.
- To act as the senior spokesperson on spatial planning and transport matters when requested by the Service Manager.
- To progress and secure the effective project management of assigned projects through all stages from conception through to implementation and monitoring. To undertake the role of Project Manager for large, complex and multi-disciplinary projects including consultation, programming, planning and co-ordination.
- To prioritise work, establish work programmes and schedules for the assigned functional areas of work and ensuring their achievement and providing or securing technical guidance and training as necessary in this connection.
- To work in partnership with others and through negotiation with the private sector to secure physical regeneration and transport investment that is consistent with council priorities.
- To develop, design, consult, progress and implement measures to enhance, and maintain the built environment, public realm, and transport network and infrastructure of the borough.
- To assist in the analysis of service requirements and the development, review and monitoring of performance indicators by which the quality, efficiency and cost effectiveness of the Team or Service is demonstrated.
- To be responsible for ensuring that all actions of the post holder and the staff supervised conform to the Council’s quality standards and policies, Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments, Standing Orders, Service and Departmental Office Manuals, Financial Regulations, Contract Management and Administration systems and procedures, etc.
- To be responsible for the production, development and review of contracts, and the tendering process from pre-feasibility to post- implementation reviews for the assigned functional areas of responsibility.
- To be responsible for the management and administration of consultants, the preparation of consultant’s briefs, the evaluation of tenders and reviewing consultant’s performance in relation to the assigned functional areas of responsibility and in line with the council’s procurement procedures.
- To provide or secure the provision of technical advice on all matters covered by the assigned functional areas within the Service.
- To advise senior management on the effects of relevant new or draft legislation, Codes of Practice or other initiatives, publications or developments, ensuring that appropriate Members and other interested parties are properly briefed and advised.
- Ensure that all projects are steered through the appropriate approvals procedures and that any procedural requirements are met.
- To prepare responses to relevant draft GLA and Government policy and strategy documents ensuring that appropriate Members and other interested parties are properly briefed and consulted.
- To be aware of all relevant legislation and technical developments relating to the contractual, technical and operational aspects of a Spatial Planning and Transport Service.
- To represent the Department/Service/Team at meetings with the public and with Councillors on matters relevant to the Service, including attendance at Committees, and any other public meetings.
- To represent the Team Manager at meetings with other services and outside bodies (e.g. Police, Emergency Services, Transport for London and other public transport operators, London Councils and other London Boroughs, Greater London Authority, Homes and Communities Agency, Government Office for London, Highways Agency, DCLG etc)
- To take the lead in preparing funding bids and negotiations, ensuring that significant additional resources are secured.
- To ensure that decisions are implemented correctly, that all necessary approvals are obtained.
- To prepare Revenue and Capital Budget profiles , and to report, manage, adjust, programme and control expenditure, both on individual projects and on specific areas of expenditure for which the Team is responsible employing financial systems to monitor spend throughout the year ensuring budgetary control.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Corporate Membership or Incorporated Status of a recognised professional institution in at least one of the disciplines within the service with 2 years post qualification experience
- Qualification to degree level or equivalent with at least 6 years successful post qualification experience in a practising senior position
- Proven track record of successful high quality professional and managerial experience in one or more of the specialist areas of the service
- Proven ability to communicate effectively (both written and orally) and to present complex information and advice clearly and concisely, at all levels
- Experience of managing staff in one or more of the specialist areas within the Service, including appraisals, motivation, and training needs assessment
- Experience in the use of IT including word processing packages, spreadsheets, presentation packages and databases
- Experience in report preparation and presentation at Committees and other public gatherings and ability to deal effectively with concerns of elected Members
- Experience in the various forms of public consultation techniques and working effectively towards user participation to meet Customer/stakeholder expectations and requirements
- Experience in contract management, prioritisation of works programmes, and delivering these within agreed constraints including ability to manage within contract procedures, conditions, specifications, tender evaluation, project management and financial management procedures in a contract environment
- Ability to implement and maintain those management and administrative systems, including IT systems and performance review systems, necessary for the delivery of cost effective, high quality services.
- Ability to lead negotiations at a high level, e.g. on complex policy issues, major transport or land use schemes and significant financial negotiations
- Ability to develop workable and innovative solutions in problem solving situations
- Ability to prioritise and work effectively, under pressure and within tight schedules
- Ability to analyse complex resource, managerial problems and develop strategic, creative and practicable solutions
- Ability to manage and control the financial affairs and resources of assigned functional areas within the Service
- Ability to work corporately and constructively across professional boundaries and sectors
- Ability to promote and carry out duties in accordance with Council Policy including Quality standards; Customer Care; Health and Safety; Construction Design and Management Regulations; and environmental and sustainability policies and practices
- An understanding of the principal responsibilities of and the key issues facing, local government and in particular the legal and professional framework associated with spatial planning and matters.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Transport Strategy Team Leader - Planning
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.