- Pay Rate:
£34.44 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months.
Interim Trading Standards Officer-Facilities & Environment
Reference no: Hillingdon RQ595486
The post-holder will carry out compliance enforcement activities across the regulatory service functions
- Act as an Officer or Inspector under Public Protection legislation on behalf of the Council, to ensure statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged.
- Collate, organise, analyse and interpret complex information and identify options to determine the most appropriate course of action and implement that action.
- Undertake interventions at premises under relevant legislation.
- Risk assessment of premises to determine frequency of interventions in accordance with guidance and departmental practice.
- Record all work carried out in the required format.
- Undertake investigations in response to incoming complaints /intelligence concerning Public Protection matters.
- Instigate action in relation to infringements detected, including seizing high value goods, cash and sensitive documents, unfit food, and closing unsatisfactory food premises seizure of goods and serving suspension notices.
- Gather evidence and interview suspects in accordance with PACE and/or civil procedures and rules. Prepare reports on alleged infringements so that appropriate enforcement action can be taken.
- Attend court, industrial or property tribunals, planning appeals inquiries as required to give evidence.
- Respond to enquiries from the public and the business community and employees by providing information on Public Protection legislation. Participate in public and business educational and publicity events.
- Participate in projects in partnership with other agencies and colleagues across geographic and organisational boundaries.
- Develop and implement strategies relating to the specified areas.
- Provide technical and specialist advice and support in the specified areas to the rest of the team/service as required.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- A good knowledge of trading standards and consumer protection legislation.
- Significant experience of working in a local authority based regulatory services environment with an extensive knowledge of relevant legislation, guidance and good practice.
- Experience of obtaining Justices' warrants, RIPA authorisations and similar legal processes.
- Experience in use of Windows based IT packages including Word, PowerPoint, excel and use of e-mail and internet.
- Experience of leading and participating in complex investigations with a track record of preparing complex infringement reports that have resulted in legal proceedings.
- Experience of working with small, medium and large enterprises and an understanding of commercial realities when seeking compliance with legislation.
- Experience in providing advice and information to, and influencing, a wide variety of stakeholders including businesses, consumers, enforcement partners and colleagues - from vulnerable consumers to Directors and representatives of large businesses
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to operate in a customer focussed environment
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally & in writing to a wide range of people
- Ability to organise own workload to meet deadlines and targets
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Self Motivated, Flexible & Resourceful
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Trading Standards Officer-Facilities & Environment
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.