- Pay Rate:
Up to £222.00 per day PAYE depending on experience TBC
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Southwark, London,
Interim Technical Accountant – Finance
Reference no: LFB 0006 7589 / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £222.00 per day PAYE depending on experience TBC (plus 34 of paid holiday)
Basic DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role.
Hybrid working – 40% office based & 60% remote working
The post-holder will be responsible for helping to ensure the proper administration of the LFC’s financial affairs, by delivering high quality financial services, as a critical contribution to the efficient, effective and economic achievement of the Authority’s vision. This will embrace the strategic, regulatory, statutory and stewardship responsibilities which are fundamental to the operation of the LFC.
- Plan and organise own work in order to ensure that personal and departmental/directorate deadlines are met through the delivery of high quality financial services and advice.
- Keep up to date with information that is necessary for work activities.
- Keep informed of the Brigade’s and Directorate’s policies and decisions as they relate to the role. Carry out all activities in accordance with these policies and procedures, asking for training and guidance if necessary.
- Take responsibility for ensuring own continuing development, identifying areas where new skills &/or knowledge would be beneficial in relation to the duties of the post and undertaking appropriate development activities in consultation with line manager, subject to budgetary constraints.
- Monitor own performance against agreed indicators and objectives.
- Control and monitor all LFC accounts to trial balance level and assist the preparation of final accounts, including liaising with the external auditors as necessary.
- Complete on-going financial reconciliations, maintain an overview of all LFC control accounts and prepare monthly personal and control account monitoring/reconciliation reports as required.
- Prepare Government, CIPFA and other revenue and capital returns within the reporting deadlines with supporting working papers. Taking a lead role on the Whole of Government Accounts return.
- Lead, co-ordinate and complete the areas allocated to for the completion of the Statement of
- Accounts and the associated processes.
- Lead on pensions accounting including completion of statutory returns, monitoring of grant income and supporting financial forecasts and associated reporting.
- Monitor of capital budgets within reporting deadlines, providing effective and timely information in order to inform decision making and provide effective challenges.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A recognised CCAB or CIMA accountancy qualification.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Proven relevant experience of working in finance in a large organisation, to include experience of budget preparation and closing of accounts.
- Experience of providing proactive advice and support to managers.
- Extensive experience of organising, planning and prioritising your own work in a flexible manner, with minimal supervision, in order in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Thorough understanding of current local government accounting practice and procedures, with particular knowledge of the provisions of the CIPFA Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting in the United Kingdom based on International Financial Reporting Standards, and the Prudential Code.
- Knowledge of the reasons for having an equality policy and why it is observed in all areas of work and behaviour. An understanding of your personal responsibility with regard to the policy.
- Knowledge of your personal responsibility with regard to health and safety in the workplace, both individually and as a manager, and an awareness of the display screen equipment regulations.
- An understanding of the need to maintain confidentiality and security of sensitive information/data and the legal requirements of the Data Protection Act/GDPR and Freedom of Information Act.
- Knowledge of good health and safety practice in an office environment and an awareness of the display screen equipment regulations.
Skills & Abilities:
- Good written and oral communication skills in order to draft reports, correspondence, and procedure documentation often of a complex nature; ability to communicate effectively with members of other organisations and both uniformed and non-uniformed officers in an advisory role.
- Good organisational skills for planning, organising, monitoring and controlling work in an efficient, economic and effective manner to meet business objectives and deadlines.
- Good analytical skills in order to research and summarise findings, to identify solutions to complex problems, and to analyse and comment on statistical and complex data.
- Ability to quickly acquire an understanding of the Brigade's accounting systems.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills in order to develop, influence and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and external organisations ensuring a high standard of customer care.
- Ability to work flexibly and as part of a team to ensure that the team’s and organisational outcomes are achieved.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Technical Accountant – Finance
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.