- Pay Rate:
up to £40.70 per hour PAYE, depending on experience TBC
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 12-14 months
Interim Structures Maintenance Engineer - Highways
Job Ref: Suffolk 8074
Hybrid role: mostly office based 4 days per week and remote working 1 day per week
Note: the pay rate is provisional only and the ad will be amended with the confirmed rate, once received.
A Structures Maintenance Engineer with experience and knowledge of working on highways structures is required. The post holder will undertake sites visits to collect and record details required to confirm the scope/details of maintenance works required.
Type of work:
- Masonry parapet repairs/reconstruction
- Masonry crack stitching
- Scour repairs
- Concrete repairs
- Crack injection repairs
- Bridge deck waterproofing
- Movement joint replacement
- Vehicular Parapet/barrier repairs
- Painting of steel structures/parapets
- Refurbishment of steel, concrete, and timber footbridges
- Ability to plan, prioritise, manage own workload and that of other junior staff on a day-by-day basis to deliver the design and detailing of bridge maintenance work-packs efficiently.
- Produce / check appropriate documentation to enable the progression of bridge and structures maintenance repairs in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Undertake site visits to collect and record details required to confirm the scope/details of maintenance works required.
- Consult as necessary with internal and external parties including statutory undertakers, Environment Agency, ecologists, landowners, the public, parish and county councillors, the Ramblers Association, material suppliers, works commissioners and other specialists as part of the preparatory work required before undertaking bridge and structures repairs on the highway network.
- Check estimates from the Contractor to ensure work has been interpreted correctly and will be undertaken in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure work information packages contain technical designs, drawings, documents, specifications and other information which is prepared at an appropriate level of detail.
- Oversee investigation and design work where necessary.
- Take a proactive role in informing the local county councillor of any planned maintenance work and ensure that local parish and town councils and other relevant organisations and the general public are given suitable advance notice of any intended works.
- Contribute to weekly progress meetings with the Contractor.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Degree in Civil Engineering (desirable).
- Experience/knowledge of working on highway structures.
- Knowledge /experience of the Design Manual for Roads & Bridges, Well-managed Highway Infrastructure and other related and relevant standards and codes of practice
- Understanding of relevant health & safety legislation and codes of practice (including the CDM regulations 2015)
- Good IT skills with full working knowledge of the MS Office Suite and AutoCAD.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Structures Maintenance Engineer - Highways
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.