- Pay Rate:
£27.16 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- ISLINGTON, London,
Full Job Title: Interim Strategic Business Manager – Net Zero Carbon
Reference no: Islington RQ674231
Pay Rate: £27.16 per hour PAYE
This role is Flexible/Office-Based
Urgent capacity is required to support a corporate energy saving programme until the end of 2022/23.
The Net Zero Carbon programme is a priority corporate programme with a council commitment to deliver net zero carbon by 2030. This programme directly supports the Council’s corporate priority of “A greener and cleaner Islington: keeping Islington clean and tidy, encouraging greener travel, creating a healthier environment for all and tackling the climate crisis”.
The NZC programme team, which consists of the senior manager, programme support and workstream managers, are responsible for working with the eight work streams that have been established to deliver the commitments set out in the Net Zero Carbon strategy.
Primary Job Function:
The NZC strategic business manager will be assigned work streams that are large, complex and high stakes with programme wide significance and senior officer and/or member exposure.
The strategic business manager will take personal responsibility to work very closely with work stream senior responsible officers to deliver the commitments and actions that support achievement of Islington’s net zero carbon ambitions. They will work with passion, energy and drive, whilst working with a significant degree of autonomy.
- Horizon scan for climate change policy developments, funding, innovation and other shifts in the external landscape which will have an impact on the programme.
- Build and maintain constructive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. This includes stakeholders from other priority council programmes (e.g. Fairer Together Partnership), other councils and external organisations involved in leading change, especially in relation to climate change (plus horizon scanning for new ideas and relationships).
- Develop the agenda for carbon reduction and be the main point of contact for all internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop collaboration plans and deliver mutually beneficial activities – including other public sector organisation, local borough partnerships and London wide partners (e.g., London Council’s).
- Advise the Head of NZC programme, Work stream directors or leads in efforts to support the council’s relationships with London Councils, GLA, LGA and central government.
- Drive a culture change so that NZC is embedded in the everyday operation of the business, with those in leadership roles seeing successful completion of decarbonisation plans as part of the council’s priority
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience of designing and implementing effective strategies.
- Experience of leading or managing change projects.
- Knowledge of concepts, methods, tools and techniques to support the design and delivery of real and lasting change – and the ability to deploy them in practice.
- Knowledge and awareness of local government finances, commercial issues and business case development.
- Knowledge and awareness of current and future practices and developments relating to climate change.
- Specific skills or experience in change management disciplines, qualitative or user-focused research, data analysis and visualisation, and public affairs and policy.
- Specific Skills required for this Role include:
- Ability to think and act strategically – diagnosing challenges, designing responses, and leading coherent and coordinated actions.
- Personal and professional credibility to influence and lead people and to secure commitment to corporate strategies and key change efforts.
- Ability to deliver under pressure, adapt to changes in circumstances and be resilient and optimistic in the face of challenging situations.
- Ability to lead collaborative project teams drawn from across the organisation, with a commitment to the learning, growth and development of others.
- Ability to make sound judgements about complex issues, on the basis of analysing information from a range of sources (both qualitative and quantitative).
- Ability to build strong relationships with a wide variety of people, in ways that develop trust, credibility and personal impact.
- Ability to communicate and influence senior stakeholders across multiple areas of the business.
- Ability to manage the scope, cost and time constrains of projects and programmes.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Strategic Business Manager – Net Zero Carbon
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.