St Albans 5180406
- Pay Rate:
£25.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
Basic DBS disclosure required
To manage a programme of procurement projects, including EU / local tenders, quotations and Framework Agreements, and provide specialist procurement advice to achieve innovative efficiency savings.
- Manage a small team (one or two posts) undertaking procurement administrative duties. This will include providing clear instruction and guidance, making sure work is done accurately and in a timely manner.
- Deliver a programme of compliant procurement projects (tenders) to agreed timescales, utilising best project management, risk management and contract management techniques. This includes market and supplier analysis pre-tender market engagement and running the full tender process from initiation to contract award.
- Prepare EU and local tender documentation, quotations and mini competition documentation in consultation with service managers, ensuring that Council requirements are accurately reflected and support the delivery of value for money.
- Develop and maintain corporate procurement policies, best practice guidance and template documentation, ensuring best practice and statutory requirements are reflected.
- Contract manage corporate contracts including monitoring performance, holding review meetings with suppliers and engaging with service managers to ensure any problems or issues are resolved.
- Recommend initiatives and give specialist advice to service managers and assisting them to effectively manage their contracts and assist with the resolution of any disputes. Help them to identify opportunities for improvements and savings and ensure that these are built into future contracts.
- Actively promote and encourage procurement best practice across the Council through the establishment of positive working relationships. Developing and providing procurement training programmes as and when required.
- Undertake procurement related research to produce effective briefing papers or management reports for different audiences. This would need to reflect best practice and current legislative requirements.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Educated to degree or evidence of degree level ability of education through work experience and relevant experience of working in a senior procurement role.
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Procurement related qualification (eg CIPS) or currently studying towards MCIPS.
- Project Management qualification
- Up to date working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, standards and best practice relating to procurement, including the EU Public Sector Procurement directive
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- project working
- contract management
- new approaches to commercial activity in local government
- risk management
- Significant experience of successfully running full tender processes from initiation to contract award on large and complex contracts
- Significant experience of preparing effective tender documentation with appropriate evaluation criteria
- Experience of establishing and developing effective relationships or partnerships to enable the successful delivery of services and adjusting arrangements to meet stakeholder concerns
- Experience of leading on procurement in a medium or large organization
- Experience of managing and overseeing complex procurement projects where there has been a need to be innovative to find significant savings or efficiencies
- Experience of explaining technical issues to non-experts with the ability to persuade others to adopt best practice and see the benefits in change
- Experience of successfully supervising a team
- Experience of providing input into policy development and implementing policies, practices - desirableand service improvements - desirable
- ICT Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and work specific software packages including advanced excel.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.