- Pay Rate:
£60.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Full Job Title: Interim Senior Legal Lawyer – Legal Services
Reference no: Cornwall 5211875
To be responsible and accountable for a personal caseload of high profile and/or complex legal matters within the specialist areas of the Team. The role holder will provide legal advice, which is politically sensitive and high risk.
To be a senior legal advisor within the context of the areas of work which fall within the remit of the role holder’s team and provide advice at Council, Cabinet and Committee meetings and representation at Court and Tribunal hearings. The role holder may also be required to provide advice on areas of law outside of the remit of the Team.
To work with the Group Manager and Principal Legal Officer to identify and implement Service improvements to the efficiency and performance of the Service to enable the Council to meet its corporate objectives and priorities to improve the quality of life in Cornwall.
To mentor and provide guidance on a day to day basis the work of lawyers, non-lawyers and trainees. Deputise for the Principal Legal Officer as required.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A Solicitor, either with a current practising certificate or eligible to apply for a practising certificate, or a qualified Barrister or a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives, or possessing an equivalent qualification gained in another jurisdiction.
- An understanding of the concepts underpinning administrative and corporate law as it relates to local government.
- Knowledge of the law relating to the area of service where the assignment is based.
- An awareness of the issues that face local government.
- Substantial experience within the legal profession.
- Experience of providing legal advice in the area of the assignment.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team, and to build effective relationships with Council Members, senior managers, business units, other sections and outside agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to present to diverse audiences, including [elected Members], senior officers, staff and external agencies.
- Ability to analyse, use and present complex data in a clear and informative way.
- IT skills including Microsoft packages
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Senior Legal Lawyer – Legal Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.