- Pay Rate:
£21.56 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
- Chichester, West Sussex,
Interim Senior Contracts Manager – Procurement, Adult Social Care
Job Ref: West Sussex RQ579141
Pay Rate: £21.56 per hour PAYE
Hybrid: requirement to visit contractors and to attend the office 1-2 times per week
As a Senior Contracts Officer, you will be part of a team that will ensure good quality, affordable services are available for all residents. Working proactively with the existing and emerging markets, you will develop relationships with customers and providers that ensure the services are responsive and meet need with a focus on outcomes and quality. You will be responsible for managing a number of medium / high risk – value contracts to ensure performance is achieved at the appropriate level. The contracts will vary in size and complexity depending on the services being offered and the outcomes required.
Supported by the broader team, your role will collate performance information through the set up and management of routine monitoring processes including regular contractor meetings. You will identify performance issues, agree improvement plans and use your knowledge of the performance levers within contracts to improve outcomes. Ideally the candidate will have social care or health knowledge/background as well as significant contract management experience.
- Manage a portfolio of high risk / high value complex contracts, ensuring their development and renewal through a complex procurement process complying with Standing Orders on Procurement and Contracts, Statutory Instruments and European Union (EU) Procurement Directives.
- Continue to deliver value for money through regular performance monitoring and liaison with both customers and contractors to meet the requirements of Best Value.
- Manage projects and/or reviews of corporate projects specifically working with others engaged in the Adults and Health commissioning programme by challenging existing practices and generating ideas and solutions, recognising and balancing risks with reward, meeting agreed timescales.
- Secure, by negotiation and other purchasing techniques, maximum economic advantage from the purchasing power available to the county council and other bodies thereby obtaining best value for money whilst still meeting the demands of public accountability, professional ethics and the necessity of users to receive goods and services of the right quality at the right time and at the right place.
- Take lead on creating strategic contract management and monitoring solutions to meet the requirements of individual contracts or groups of contracts.
- Develop Tender Documents using professional expertise to ensure terms and conditions of high value / high risk complex tenders and contracts cover all necessary aspects, and reflect the goods and services required.
- Meet regularly with suppliers/contractors and undertake demanding negotiations in relation to post tender negotiations, price change, specification and market changes in order to achieve improvements in contract terms, ensure value for money and effective maintenance of their services.
- Negotiate with contractors where performance levels are not met, in order to make decisions which they would not otherwise wish to make to affect an improvement in contract delivery.
- Line-manage a team of Contract Officers as appropriate to the organisational structure of the Contracts Team to include workload planning, personal development reviews etc.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Qualifications & Knowledge:
- Degree, or equivalent qualification or experience in Procurement/Contract Management, demonstrating that level of applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- PRINCE 2 – Project Management
- Detailed knowledge of the client service unit to support the process of creating/developing tenders/contracts.
- Knowledge of Project Management to effectively manage the procurement process.
- Relevant advanced theoretical or organisational knowledge of systems, procedures and policies associated with operating a demanding procurement/contract management service (desirable).
- Social care or health knowledge/background (desirable).
- Significant experience delivering a high-level procurement/contract management service on behalf of clients.
- Significant experience of monitoring and/or managing complex contracts effectively to ensure they meet customers’ requirements and business need.
- Political awareness when working with members/senior management.
- Significant experience of working with strategic procurement/contract management systems/practices and providing effective support.
- Experience of line managing staff or a corporate-focused specialist service and developing an effective team to work together to meet objectives.
- Experience of shaping and supporting initiatives and activities in a political environment.
- Advanced analytical skills in order to interpret and manipulate very varied and complex contract / tender information.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer focus with the ability to work as a key contact and provide a professional service to meet customer needs.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate problems and resolve issues independently, planning solutions and making sound pragmatic decisions.
- Ability to deliver a demanding procurement/contract management service demonstrated by evidence of managing high risk/high contracts, and contributing into policy/procedural reviews and objective setting.
- Ability to forward plan over the long term, making effective judgements in order to continuously develop and review the effectiveness of service and staff.
- Effective people management skills including performance management skills and the ability to provide direction and support to individuals and teams.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills in order to understand very complex tender documents, contracts and to check statistical financial information in relation to services/suppliers.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Senior Contracts Manager – Procurement
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.