- Pay Rate:
£21.99 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 4 months
- STOKE ON TRENT,
Interim Revenues Officer x2
Job Ref: 5206188
To facilitate and administer the process of billing, recovery and enforcement for Council Tax, Sundry Debts and Business Rates
- To assist in the effective and proper maintenance of Council Tax, Sundry Debt and Business Rates accounts having regard to liability, exemptions, reliefs, discounts, payment methods and valuations. This includes applying all changes to Council Tax and Business Rates accounts and authorising invoices raised by internal departments.
- Maintain an expert, up to date knowledge of Council Tax, Business Rates and Sundry Debt legislation and internal procedures and processes and keep fully appraised of relevant changes.
- To keep up to date with changes in relation to Welfare Reform.
- Responsibility and contribution to the collection of £350 million per year over 3 debt streams.
- Contribute to the prevention and detection of fraud and refer potentially fraudulent accounts to the fraud department.
- To be proactive in identifying ways to maximise income for the Revenues Department.
- Take card payments using industry standard software and have an understanding of payment card industry standards. Investigate unallocated payments in bank suspense and identify payments to be allocated to accounts.
- Set up direct debits and deal with sensitive financial information in a confidential and secure manner. Reconcile banking reports and calling customers when a payment has recalled.
- To interview (by telephone or in person at any location), using negotiating and persuasive skills to agree re-payment arrangements with the customers who owe debts to the council completing financial statements where appropriate.
- To attend court where necessary interviewing debtors and making a decision whether to proceed with the liability order hearing, as well as assisting with committal cases at court when required
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Knowledge of Local Authority (or similar) billing, recovery and invoicing systems and procedures
- Knowledge of third party organisations legislation, e.g Enforcement Agents, Citizen Advice Bureau & Insolvency
- Experience of operating billing, recovery and invoicing systems and Enforcement of Debt
- Experience of conducting complex and sensitive interviews with customers with appreciation of the need for tact, confidence and firmness when dealing with the public
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Revenues Officer x2
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.