- Pay Rate:
£29.94 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 4-5 months
- Hackney, London,
Interim Public Health Commissioning Manager - Procurement
Job Ref: Hackney RQ636248
To deliver an effective commissioning and contract management function within the Public Health Service. The post holder is expected to provide the Public Health function with leadership and expertise in the areas of commissioning and contract management, including procurement; and will provide direction to Public Health Officers to ensure that their responsibilities in these areas are carried out effectively.
In addition, the Public Health Commissioning Manager will lead on the development and implementation of the strategic commissioning programme with a concentration on risk, issue and decision management. This will include a leadership role on contract performance management and intervention. The post holder will lead a team of officers to ensure that the public health procurement programme is delivered, commissioning and contract management best practice is followed across the service and effective financial management processes are maintained.
The work programme will be complex, with interdependent objectives, resources and deliverables. The projects undertaken will be wide ranging and cover differentiated knowledge areas and professional disciplines. The Commissioning Manager will be a procurement and contract management expert but they will also be required to understand the breadth and detail of Public Health services in order to make accurate judgements around the timescales, benefits, costs and risks.
- Lead responsibility for the delivery of a procurement and contract management staff development programme for public health staff with procurement or contract management responsibilities.
- Provide timely and appropriate direction on commissioning and contract management best practice to members of the public health service.
- Represent the Council and partnership organisation on fora, working groups, and project groups.
- Deliver the strategy for the commissioning of public health services.
- Develop and implement policies to ensure that the commissioning of public health services is rigorous and robust.
- Initiate and develop monitoring systems for the effective evaluation of commissioned services and working practices.
- Prepare and present reports and briefings to Members, senior management, programme boards and partnerships which include analysis of information and recommendations for corrective actions and continuous improvement.
- Collate and analyse relevant demographic information, service trends, user consultation and feedback, as well as research about effective services to ensure that assessments of need, service development and planning are based on good practice and evidence.
- Ensure that commissioning programmes improve service outcomes to reflect and address the ethnicity and cultural diversity of the local population as well as address inequality of access to public health services.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A detailed understanding and knowledge of the NHS, Local Authority, primary care and voluntary sector provisions relating to the commissioning and delivery of public health services.
- Up to date knowledge of the key issues facing local government relating to the commissioning of public health service.
- Thorough understanding of relevant legislation, statutory instruments, codes of practice and directorate policies for the integration and commissioning of public health services.
- Procurement and contract management expert with experience of commissioning and managing contracts.
- Ability to lead and mange teams within a flexible work environment with demonstrable experience in supporting staff to perform at their best, and to develop their potential.
- Programme and project management skills, alongside an understanding of budget management.
- Able to demonstrate a track record of challenging discrimination and valuing diversity.
- A record of successful programme management and the development and delivery of effective commissioning arrangements.
- Experience of working with partnership organisations and building effective working relationships to achieve objectives.
Competencies and Skills
- High degree of verbal and written communication skills, with proven ability to work in partnership across boundaries to influence senior managers and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to plan and organise individual and team workloads at both strategic and operational levels in line with corporate objectives and customer needs.
- Experience setting targets, monitoring and evaluation of service performance and delivery in order to achieve continuous improvement.
- Ability to apply knowledge and experience within the context of organisational culture, corporate objectives and customer needs.
- Ability to present reports and information to diverse audiences.
- Skilled at undertaking negotiations, as well as persuading and influencing decisions.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues, senior managers, clinical leads and politicians.
- Significant experience of using information technology, desktop publishing, spreadsheets, document management systems, proprietary software and online platforms to provide management information.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Public Health Commissioning Manager - Procurement
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.