- Pay Rate:
£294.00 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Islington, London,
Interim Principal Lift Engineer
Reference no: Islington RQ599155
A DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role; however the level of disclosure has not been specified by the client.
The Principal Lift Engineer primary function is to ensure all lifts serving Islington’s housing accommodation are adequately maintained by developing and following a rolling cyclical capital works programme including the replacement of lift cars / lift equipment when life expired/beyond economic repair.
The Principal Lift Engineer will establish and maintain clear communication with all stakeholders and assist in the development of the forward program, policies and strategies. He/she will ensure an integrated customer focused service to residents of Islington and other users of the service.
- Work in conjunction with the Group Leader / senior manager to identify, develop and enhance the asset management data base relating to lifts and to prepare annual packages of work to ensure all lifts are maintained in good working order.
- Develop appropriate design briefs, feasibility reports, specifications and tender documentation to facilitate the procurement of new packages of work.
- Work closely with Islington’s procurement team to procure and appoint contractors in the most efficient manner.
- Take overall responsibility for all pre-contract technical surveys , tender design work and on going relevant maintenance requirements which may include liaising with other Council departments, repairs team, end users and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that adequate monitoring is provided to oversee and coordinate the work of consultants, where appropriate.
- Prepare reports for senior management team, committees, area forums, working parties, client organisations, tenant associations, and external agencies. Attend meetings as necessary to present reports.
- Ensure excellent communication, consultation is maintained with all stakeholders through preparing briefings, correspondence, attendance at meetings etc.
- Ensure the highest standard of design, budget control and contract management is maintained on all projects carried out by the team, paying particular attention to Health and Safety, Accessibility, Energy Efficiency, Sustainability and Maintenance.
- Identify future projects in consultation with the Group Leader. Ensure that adequate staff resources are available to complete and manage projects within programme, cost and fee allocation.
- Provide advice and guidance as appropriate to other team members concerning procurement, design criteria and preparation of schemes, specifications, maintenance requirements, estimates, selection of materials and equipment, project and contract management.
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with current standards and statutory regulations. Assume role of Contract Administrator/Employers Agent where required.
- Liaise and with government departments, consultants, statutory bodies and other relevant organisations where required.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers or equivalent with a minimum of 6 years post qualification experience designing and maintaining lifts. OR
- An NVQ level 3 (or equivalent) in building services or suitably related subject with a minimum of 6 years post qualification experience designing and maintaining lifts.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Excellent technical knowledge and experience to prepare refurbishment and maintenance specifications for passenger lifts.
- Excellent knowledge of building services statutory regulations, codes of practice and British standards.
- Possess a good and up to date working knowledge of building services forms of contract.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to write technical reports.
- Ability to undertake lift engineering design work for the installation of new lift cars and associated equipment.
- Ability to creatively solve service engineering design and maintenance related technical problems.
- Possess good commercial acumen to ensure procurement of works achieves excellent value for money.
- Ability to assist in the development, planning and implementation of policies for the engineering team.
- Ability to assist with staff recruitment, training and development for the team.
- Ability to appoint, brief, direct and liaise with and monitor consultants.
- Ability to advise on the appraisal, selection, appointment and monitoring of contractors and sub-contractors.
- Ability to attend site, and attend evening meetings.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Principal Lift Engineer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.