- Pay Rate:
£21.60 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Interim Principal Accountant-Finance
Reference no: Preston RQ600038
The post-holder will be responsible for driving forward the development and managing the smooth running and maintenance of the Council’s Financial Accounting Systems (Civica Financials (GL, Creditors and Debtors), Civica Purchasing, Capita AIM Income Management and BACS). They will provide strategic and financial advice and support to Members and Management.
- Responsible for the cost-effective day-to-day development and maintenance of the Council’s financial management information systems in line with legislative (e.g. HMRC, PCI DSS, CIPFA Accounting Code of Practice/SeRCoP) and internal requirements.
- Be the main point of contact with the Council’s ICT Section and financial systems software suppliers with regards to system upgrades, interfaces, help desk queries etc.
- Ensure that the General Ledger is kept up to date and is capable of producing the data required to complete the budget setting/monitoring process, year-end process and the Statement of Accounts.
- Provide specialist financial advice and support and undertake financial evaluation of a wide range of projects across the Council.
- Ensure that a fully documented financial systems Procedures Manual is available at all times, and that it is reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
- Ensure that the Council is compliant with the requirements of the Transparency Code
- Provide technical accountancy advice on all aspects of the authority’s activities, including providing financial implications input into reports for Members
- Manage the development and delivery of financial systems training to ensure that new and existing users of all financial management information systems are trained.
- Assist with the production and implementation of the annual service delivery plan and other action plans to ensure continuous improvements
- Assist with the production and delivery of the Accountancy Service disaster recovery plan
- Manage the smooth running of the day-to-day operational Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Income Collection processes
- Responsible for the review and update of all key risks associated with all financial management information systems
- Direct management of an Accountancy Team Section including, supervision and workload management, training and ongoing development of staff.
- Deputise for the Assistant Director (Head of Financial Services) in his/her absence as and when required.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- Full Professional membership of CCAB Accounting body or CIMA
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Certificates of Competency in IT Skills
- PRINCE 2 Practitioner or other recognised Project Management qualification
- Knowledge of legislation and/or regulations as they relate to creditor and debtor administration, income management and information management i.e. PCI DSS, Late Payment Directive
- Experience of using computerised financial management information systems preferably
- Civica Financials and knowledge of how financial ledgers integrate
- Experience of financial management information systems administration including upgrades and development of systems
- Experience in any of the following areas:- Creditors or Sundry Debtors Accounts Payable/Receivable, Income Management
- Extensive experience in the use of IT in a financial context, including writing reports in financial systems e.g. Crystal Reporting and Microsoft Office
- Experience in attending and providing advice to working groups and/or meetings
- Experience/involvement in project management including systems implementation and development
- Experience of developing and delivering training programmes
- Experience of managing small groups of staff, ideally covering a variety of activities or functions
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to apply sound judgement and initiative in providing advice and in developing or using systems
- Ability and willingness to develop knowledge and learn new skills
- Ability to contribute enthusiastically and effectively to continuing service development, including training
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage projects
- Ability to manage and develop staff
- Ability to plan and prioritise work and control and manage workloads
- Ability to meet and manage deadlines, working in a sometimes pressurised environment
- Good interpersonal skills, in particular the ability to build effective working relationships and respect with staff at all levels and from other services
- Practical yet innovative attitude to problem solving
- Self-motivated, confident, flexible and open to change
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Principal Accountant-Finance
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.