- Pay Rate:
Up to £24.25 per hour PAYE, depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 7 months
- LEAMINGTON SPA,
Full Job Title: Interim Principal Accountant – Finance
Reference no: Warwick 5208857
To play a key role in the overall financial management of the Council in accordance with legislative requirements, Fit for the Future and best practice. Planning, directing and controlling the preparation and monitoring of budgets, Final Accounts, statistics and statutory financial returns, ensuring the financial integrity of the Council’s accounts and Financial Management Systems and aiding financial decision making across the Council at all levels. To assist the Strategic Finance Manager and deputise when necessary.
- Play a key role in designing implementing and controlling processes to prepare, report and monitor the Council’s budgets. Thus ensuring expenditure, income levels, and Council Tax/Housing Rents/Capital Financing be determined by the Council in accordance with current legislation requirements, financial constraints, and statutory returns.
- Responsible for the production of the Council’s Final Accounts within agreed timetables and strict statutory deadlines. Interpreting and implementing the implications of any changes to the accounting standards required to prepare the annual Statement of Accounts. Advising the Head of Finance and Strategic Finance Manager on these. Design, compile and produce the Statements of Accounts, in accordance with the statutory accounting standards. Design, produce and continually enhance detailed working papers, to the highest standards required by external audit. Secure the completeness and accuracy of all the information disclosed to external audit’s satisfaction so as to achieve an unqualified audit opinion within statutory deadlines.
- Play a key role in the development of accounting and budgetary systems in order to enhance the provision of financial services as a support service and strengthen the financial management of the Council. Lead on various system upgrades etc. as required.
- In conjunction with other Senior Finance Officers, provide a first point of contact with Central Government and other external organisations, such as the External Auditors, and major suppliers e.g. the Council’s Bank and key Software Suppliers.
- A key member of the Accountancy Services’ Management Team, contributing to the development of the Service and Team Operational Plans, commenting upon the draft Service Plan and proposed TOP. Take responsibility for the areas under their specialism ensuring delivery within timescales. Overall management of the staff under the direct control of the postholder, planning, training and reviewing their performance to enable them to reach their full potential and to achieve the most effective and efficient use of resources for the Section. This will maintain a high-quality service.
- To be a Financial Advisor to Members and Officers at all levels of seniority across the Council. Attendances at meetings of Committees as necessary Participate on working Parties, Project Teams, Corporate Groups, etc. as a senior financial advisor. Evaluating and advising on the financial effects of proposals and ensuring that decisions are made in the light of full knowledge of the financial implications for the Council.
- To support the Head of Finance in the overall management of the Council’s Finances and assist the Strategic Finance Manager in the management of the Accountancy Division, deputising as necessary. Responsible for the accurate completion of statutory returns and grant claims by the statutory deadlines, in accordance with standard accounting practices
- Each Principal Accountant will be the lead for particular specialist areas of work. This is likely to include interpreting, advising upon, and implementing legislation and guidance, consulting with relevant parties, completion of Government and other returns, reporting to members/senior officers, and working with officers, members, external auditors and suppliers. Each of the Post Holders will formulate, control and enhance processes within the Accountancy Team. The individual specialisms for the 4 Posts are detailed in the Additional Information Section below.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A CCAB qualified accountant, with relevant post-qualifying experience (minimum of 3 years) in a public sector finance department - OR - Significant relevant experience within a public sector finance department with either Senior AAT or part qualified CCAB qualification
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of computer based financial management systems and software applications e.g. General Ledger.
- Proven ability to interpret and implement the legislative Codes of Practice pertaining to Local Government Finance.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to create, develop and manage complex spreadsheets.
- Ability to interpret legislation and regulations
- Ability to write clear, concise and easily understandable reports for Senior Officers and Members.
- A detailed knowledge of legislative Codes of Practice pertaining to Local Government Finance - desirable
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Principal Accountant – Finance
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.