- Pay Rate:
£29.60 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2 months
Interim Net Zero Carbon Manager – Climate Resilience
Job Ref: Lewisham 0005 E090 / 1
To lead delivery of borough-wide housing retrofit programmes in support of the Council’s ambition to be net zero carbon by 2030. The post holder will provide technical and expert knowledge in relation to low and zero carbon technologies and on sustainable design and construction, supporting delivery of strategic planning policy, the Council’s housing delivery and wider regeneration programmes and key local developments.
- Secure and deliver investment to decarbonise social housing, the corporate estate, schools and other buildings.
- Develop an evidenced-based approach to decarbonisation across the borough based on an understanding of the borough’s buildings, available technological solutions and existing and new funding opportunities.
- Develop and implement plans for heat networks in the borough working with partners to secure investment and a delivery structures to deliver on the borough’s energy master-plans.
- Identify and secure resources to fund retrofit through partner engagement and successful bids for external funding.
- Develop targeted and practical retrofit programmes based on the different opportunities and constraints across different tenures and housing types.
- Prioritise and help vulnerable residents at risk of fuel poverty.
- Lead delivery of a Net Zero Carbon Schools Programme working with schools, Children and Young People’s Directorate and the Capital Programmes Delivery team.
- Work alongside the Capital Programme Delivery team to decarbonise the Council’s corporate estate, developing and agreeing a fully-costed delivery plan for the estate embedded within the Council’s strategic plans for the estate as a whole including in relation to climate change adaptation.
- Develop opportunities for decentralised energy, including working with central and regional government, developers and other stakeholders to facilitate and maximise the deployment of networks across the borough.
- Work with Planning and with colleagues across Housing Regeneration and Public Realm Directorate on the development and implementation of planning policies in respect to energy, sustainable design and construction and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Work with the Economy, Jobs and Partnerships team, Lewisham College, Lewisham Homes and others to embed opportunities for green jobs and skills across the borough’s retrofit programmes for our corporate buildings, schools, and housing of all tenures.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Qualifications & Knowledge:
- Masters qualification in a relevant environmental or sustainability discipline or substantial relevant experience.
- Substantial knowledge of international, national and regional legislation and policy on climate change, carbon, energy and environmental issues and the implications these have at a local level.
- Substantial technical and practical knowledge of energy and carbon reduction technology and the retrofitting of housing.
- A technical understanding of decentralised energy, low and zero carbon technologies, planning policy and sustainable design and construction.
- An appreciation of the commercial opportunities for local authorities on sustainability, energy and carbon.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of legislative developments and research trends, developments, contractual arrangements and best practice in relation to sustainability, climate change, energy efficiency.
- Significant experience of net zero carbon, energy efficiency or building retrofit programmes.
- Significant experience of working in a planning context on energy and sustainability issues.
- Experience of personally managing large scale projects and successfully delivering a range of benefits.
- The capacity to engage with and deliver work of a highly complex and diverse nature.
- Commercial acumen and the ability to procure and manage contracts.
- A willingness to take the initiative to drive the delivery of strategic objectives and the judgement of when to seek agreement from others before proceeding.
- Exceptional problem solving skills and the ability to bring practical solutions to complex issues.
- The ability to influence senior managers and politicians and secure confidence and agreement in complex and fast moving circumstances.
- The ability to manage potentially conflicting priorities and respond to a changing policy environment.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills across a range of styles, and the ability to present complex information clearly and concisely with the ability to adjust communication styles to meet the needs of different audiences.
- Excellent programme management skills and the ability to achieve high quality outcomes across complex programmes of work that involve a variety of stakeholders.
- Staff management skills.
- Excellent stakeholder and management skills.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Net Zero Carbon Manager – Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.