- Pay Rate:
£20.57 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- SOUTHWARK, LONDON,
Interim Lawyer - Legal
Job Ref: 5208619
Taking legal referral's from the accounts team and taking legal action to recover the debt. Representing the Council and managing a caseload in the First tier Tribunal and county courts
- Responsible for assisting the Enforcement Manager in the preparation of all necessary evidence and documentation to support the Council’s case when taking legal action for the recovery of service charges, or defending the Council’s position when a leasehold or freehold matter has been referred to the Court or the FTT. This will include the evaluation of evidence, interviewing witnesses, and preparing proofs of evidence and witness statements. It may also include instructing and briefing Counsel for complex cases.
- Responsible for presenting cases before Courts and the FTT
- Undertaking research into legal questions arising from the work of the Division, and, if appropriate briefing Counsel and/or Consultants and Expert Witnesses and instructing as and when necessary.
- Responsible for negotiating and concluding contractual arrangements and agreements with leaseholders, freeholders, solicitors, barristers and external agencies with regard to the payment of service charges
- To act at all times within the framework of legislation appropriate to leasehold management and debt collection, and the Council’s policies and procedures relating to service charge collection.
- To provide sound and researched advice to strategic and senior officers to facilitate making of informed decisions as well as the Enforcement Manager, Senior Enforcement Officer and other Enforcement Officers.
- To ensure that services are innovative and quality driven and in accordance with current legislation
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Detailed knowledge of the pertinent legislation, including Landlord and Tenant Acts, Housing Acts and experience of interpreting and applying the principles to public sector leasehold management and service charges
- Knowledge and understanding of the processes of First-Tier-Tribunal, Land Tribunals and Courts
- Substantial experience of working in a mixed tenure environment on a large residential portfolio and implementing legislation relevant to leasehold management
- Experience of and ability to represent the Council at First-Tie-Tribunal and County Court
- A high degree of interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate at several levels
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected].com by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Lawyer - Legal
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.