- Pay Rate:
Up to £23.00 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
36.25 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
Interim Information Governance Officer
Reference no: Trafford 0006 8E7C / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £23.00 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Please note that the pay rate for this role is likely to be uplifted to reflect a higher than standard holiday allocation
Hybrid working - Mostly homeworking. Only in the office if you have to do scanning, max 1 day per week.
The purpose of the role is to take the lead in providing expert advice; promoting data protection and freedom of information compliance and best practice; and maintaining standards and procedures across the organisation. To contribute to the development and operation of information governance activities including information sharing, risk management and broader governance and partnership issues.
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of a Council-wide strategy for the delivery of the requirements of Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation and any resulting policies and protocols, ensuring compliance with all relevant statutory requirements.
- Take the lead and/or assist with investigations into complaints about breaches of confidentiality, data protection or freedom of information provisions, and undertake reporting/remedial action as required maintaining a log of any incidents and remedial recommendations and actions.
- Analyse the types of breaches of the Data Protection Act and develop improvement plans to mitigate against future breaches ensuring risk management procedures are adhered to.
- Provide robust advice on novel/complex information handling issues to ensure service areas meet the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018. To support Information Asset Owners in this regard within their areas of responsibility.
- Handle and manage all types of requests for information; requests from individuals for access to their own personal data under GDPR (subject access requests), FOI/EIR requests and requests from external organisations e.g. law enforcement agencies seeking disclosure of personal data. Related to this, to maintain the process for the delivery of the requirements of Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation and any resulting policies and protocols, ensuring compliance with all relevant statutory requirements.
- Raise awareness of the importance of information governance relating to data protection and freedom of information throughout the organisation, and to assist in the development of a communications plan and training activities to make staff aware of their duties under these acts.
- Develop effective working relationships with officers in other Authorities.
- Establish, maintain and manage a central register and monitoring system for all documentation pertaining to Council information governance e.g., Confidentiality Agreements, Protocols, Matrices; ensuring completion of all documents and exchange of information takes place as agreed by all relevant staff/agencies to established timescales and quality standards.
- Assist in the ongoing development and maintenance of the Council’s Record of Processing Activity (ROPA).
- To promote, advise and support the completion of Data Protection Impact Assessments across the organisation where new systems/processes/business changes and service innovations are being considered to ensure Data Protection risks and privacy impacts are thoroughly assessed and appropriately mitigated prior to implementation.
- Provide guidance on information sharing and assist in producing Information Sharing Agreements, working with Service areas to ensure they are kept under review, up to date, and are overseen/signed off at the appropriate levels within Trafford Council and partner agencies.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Degree or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience of Records Management and Information Request handling, including subject access requests and FOI/EIR requests.
- Experience and understanding of wider information governance issues, including information sharing, information security and records retention.
- Experience of providing advice and guidance regarding information sharing within the statutory framework.
- Experience of dealing with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience of organising and chairing meetings, activities and events.
- Detailed knowledge of GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018.
- Detailed knowledge of how Data Protection law, confidentiality and the Caldicott Principles apply to Information sharing.
- Detailed knowledge of the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to use initiative, problem solve and make decisions.
- Strong attention to detail, able to review very large volumes of information carefully and redact accurately prior to disclosure.
- Ability to produce and present high quality reports and information using to a range of audiences.
- Ability to organise own workload with minimal supervision
- Ability to share ideas and information, using clear language and present technical information in a meaningful way to a wide variety of people at all levels.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Information Governance Officer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.