- Pay Rate:
£20.26 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Southwark, London,
Interim Health & Safety Officer
Reference no: LFB 0006 1A38 / 1
Basic DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
The H&S officer will be responsible to the Principal Health & Safety Advisers for the provision of support in undertaking a range of duties. Specific tasks include but are not limited to: carrying out H&S audits and inspections; undertaking quality checks on safety events investigations and reporting on H&S performance.
- Assist Principal Health and Safety Advisers in providing a full range of health and safety advice to all parts in a timely and effective manner, attending meetings and site visits as and when necessary.
- Carry out thorough health and safety inspections of the workplaces to ensure compliance with legislation and with internal procedures; and, to advise local managers where improvements are necessary.
- Produce detailed reports resulting from work place inspections.
- Assist Principal Health and Safety Advisers in undertaking and reviewing risk assessment on a range of work activities.
- Manage the premises Health, Safety & Environment audit process following directions provided by the Principal Health and Safety Adviser. This includes making sure audits and associated reports are completed in a timely manner and to the appropriate standard.
- Manage the audit recording system and the associated mobile audit facility.
- Ensure that recommendations and non-compliances identified during audits are completed by with the responsible person or department.
- Undertake regular quality control checks on entries made in the safety event recording data base. This includes making sure all events are correctly recorded, categorised and reported to the authorities when required, working closely with the safety event reporting team.
- Identify issues and opportunities for development of the safety event reporting system. This include liaising with the system provider to ensure all agreed changes are being implemented.
- Engage with the Safety & Investigation officer to ensure any enquires relevant to the post that present via the SERD system are identified and dealt with in a timely manner.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent or higher in Occupational Health and Safety (Minimum Level 3 certificate in Health and Safety).
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Some experience managing health and safety in a work seting and/or working in a health and safety team
- Some experience of conducting Health, Safety & Environment workplace inspections and producing written reports.
- Some experience of conducting workplace health and safety risk assessment on a range of work activities.
- Some experience using safety event reporting solutions or other business intelligence tools for the reporting and analysis of injury data
- Capable of working unsupervised in a methodical manner, to respond to changing priorities and to meet deadlines.
- Capable of recognising and dealing appropriately with sensitive issues and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Knowledge of health, safety and overlapping environment legislation and best practice.
- An understanding of equality issues and a commitment to ensuring appropriate policies are adhered to.
- Good interpersonal skills with an effective and flexible style to ensure credibility with staff at all levels.
- Good communication skills: Written, in order to draft reports and other documentation and oral, for the effective liaison with all levels of multi-disciplined staff and staff representatives.
- Good organisational skills in order to manage workloads and undertake project management and monitoring.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Health & Safety Officer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.