- Pay Rate:
£600.00 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
Full Job Title: Interim Head Of Regional Housing & Planning – Infrastructure
Reference no: WECA 5208294
Hybrid working arrangements.
To support the Director of Infrastructure, in designing, establishing and leading the strategic Planning and Housing functions of the new West of England Combined Authority.
Together with the Director to advise the Regional Mayor the Authority in relation to powers and responsibilities related to strategic housing and planning matters.
To provide strategic leadership and direction for the development, delivery and review of regional housing and planning programmes and policy, working in partnership with Members and lead officers from the Unitary Authorities and relevant business partners within the Local Enterprise Partnership.
- Manage the development of the Joint Spatial Plan through the Examination in Public process and, with the Director, define the approach and scope of the be taken in the development of the Mayoral Spatial Plan in 2018.
- To manage the development of the West of England Combined Authority planning and housing functions including the Mayoral Spatial Plan, and to build and maintain strong relationships locally and nationally to support the development of the Mayoral Spatial Plan.
- Build on the work of the West of England Joint Transport Study and Joint Spatial Plans to develop the West of England Combined Authority’s housing, and infrastructure investment programmes to support sustainable economic growth in the region.
- Develop the West of England policy response to and emerging implications of the Housing White paper and revisions to the National Planning Policy Framework.
- To build strong relationships with the West of England Local Authorities, Homes England, Local Nature Partnership, Natural England, Historic England, Environment Agency and the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government to support the WECA housing and planning agenda.
- To lead the Housing and Planning Team of 4 FTEs, to support the priorities and work programmes of the WECA and Joint Committee(s), Scrutiny, and the Infrastructure Advisory Board in relation to planning and housing matters.
- To represent the authority at senior officer/political meetings as required and with stakeholders, organisations and agencies relevant to the work of the authority and the Local Enterprise Partnership.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Qualified to degree standard or equivalent in relevant subject, and with a relevant professional qualification.
- Strategic understanding of planning regulations, national policies and professional best practice.
- Knowledge of local authority planning and housing issues, national policies and professional best practice.
- Significant knowledge of Public Sector funding sources, and budget management.
- Recent experience at senior level and proven significant achievement at senior management level within a planning and/ or housing function or an organisation of comparable scope and complexity.
- Experience and proven track record in the formulation and delivery of strategic planning and housing strategies and policies in a Local Authority or public sector organisation of comparable scope and complexity.
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of the national, regional and local planning policy context with the ability to translate this into effective management of new joint working arrangements and securing the support of others in the process.
- Successful track record and proven ability to engage effectively with others at senior level and building productive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience of key local government politics, political structure and culture.
- Experience of working effectively and sensitively in a political environment, understanding the role of officers in advising Members.
- Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to balance logical and analytical approach to decision making whilst bringing innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to command the confidence of colleagues, Members and external partners.
- Demonstrable track record of leading and motivating colleagues to develop a positive culture, with an ability to reconcile and mediate differences arising across professional and administrative boundaries during joint working activities.
- ICT Skills: IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite)
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
*** Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Higher level degree or post graduate qualification in relevant discipline.
- Management degree or post-graduate diploma e.g. MBA
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Regional Housing & Planning Lead – Infrastructure
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.