- Pay Rate:
Up to £35.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2 months
Interim Environmental Health Officer - Facilities and Environmental Services
Reference no: W Berkshire 5212006
This role can be carried out on a hybrid basis.
An Environmental Health Officer is required to provide professional expertise across a wide range of environmental health and where required wider PPP related matters and use them to maintain and, whenever possible, improve the health, safety and welfare of the districts citizens and visitors.
You will act using a variety of professional skills, experience and competencies including education and legal enforcement to achieve the aims of the Council.
If you are designated Senior EHO, you will manage and supervise and/or manage a range of professional and technical staff as allocated.
Duties to include:
- Carry out inspections of all types of premises, land and undertakings and to initiate appropriate actions as a result.
- Respond to service requests, complaints and formal notifications by investigations, inspections, interviews and all other appropriate methods.
- Conduct investigations leading to the production of reports for consideration by the Public Protection Partnership – Joint Case Management including conducting interviews under caution, witness handling, evidence gathering and preparing for and attending court or tribunal.
- Manage other staff conducting investigations acting as a Senior Investigating Officer for the purpose of the Criminal Procedures and Investigations Act 1996 (Senior EHO)
- Take the lead on research into specialist topics and disseminate information to colleagues in these fields. This may include the supervision of specialist contractors.
- Undertake inspections and associated actions in response to licensing, authorisations, permits, registrations and similar activities.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with clients, colleagues and external agencies.
- Be an advocate for the values and work of the PPP
- Assist in undertaking work of a promotional of educative nature including assisting in the running of courses and presentations.
- The post holder may be required, occasionally, to carry out duties at unsociable hours for which either separate payment or time off in-lieu will be paid. This will be at the discretion of the Public Protection Manager
- To promote equality as an integral part of the role and to treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
- To recognise health and safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the WBC Health and Safety policy and any service-specific procedures / rules that apply to this role
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- EHRB registered
- Post EHRB qualification in related field of study e.g. Masters Degree, Investigations, CIEH accredited Assessment for Professional Development (APD) or NQF Level 7 or above
- Previous experience and or qualification in a related field e.g. environmental control, health and safety, housing or planning
- Specialist qualification in related field e.g. acoustics, air pollution or occupational health and safety
- Experience of working in a fast-moving customer focused environment.
- Demonstrable knowledge investigation framework including PACE, RIPA, POCA and CPIA
- Housing background
- Previous experience of carrying out inspections
- Knowledge and experience of appropriate IT systems
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to adapt style to wide variety of people
- Ability to act assertively, with authority, knowing when to be empathic and a good listener
- Ability to write concise and accurate reports
- Ability to pay high level of attention to detail
- Ability to gather evidence in a criminal investigation
- Experience in leading investigations, projects or studies
- Skills in report writing and presentation of information
- Good motivator of both self and other staff
- Able to help others to identify risk and prioritise workload (Senior Only)
- Able to mentor others
- Ability to respond effectively to rapidly changing demands.
- A demonstrable commitment to the ‘one service’ ethos of PPP
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
- Experience in supervision
- Previous experience of having given evidence in court or similar environment
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Environmental Health Officer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.