- Pay Rate:
£28.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
- Catford, London,
Interim Environmental Health Officer
Reference no: Lewisham 0006 470C / 1
The purpose of the role is to act as the Authorised Officer, undertaking technical duties in relation to Environmental Protection to ensure relevant statutory obligations, Council and Directorate Policies are effectively implemented. Develop services, undertake investigations and take appropriate enforcement action as required.
- Lead and be responsible for projects and specialist work areas as assigned which relate to complex noise and vibration sources, air quality and contaminated land.
- Project manage the control of environmental impacts from large scale construction projects.
- Review and assess reports within the context of the development control process, specialising in noise, air quality, or contaminated land as designated and commenting on other aspects such as ventilation and flood lighting schemes and other areas as required.
- In consultation with Government Departments prepare and progress a Noise Action Plan/ air quality etc for the borough, developing and maintaining a monitoring and mapping programme, as required.
- Undertake and assist the development of noise/ air quality / land contamination policy within other Departments in the Council, to provide a unified and consistent approach in reducing environmental impacts within the borough.
- Identify and investigate contaminated land / air pollution control / noise issues taking action as appropriate.
- Where designated, set up and maintain appropriate registers in respect of contaminated land and undertake initiation or enforcement of appropriate remediation.
- Carry out specialist research and analytical duties as required. Make recommendations on appropriate courses of action.
- Carry out the duties of the Council under Delegated Authority or as assigned.
- To be responsible for the maintenance of all necessary records in connection with the duties of the post holder.
- Prepare reports, statements of evidence and associated documentation. Attend Court, public inquiries, etc. to give evidence on behalf of the Council, where necessary.
- Attend and participate at Committee, Sub Committee meetings working parties and other departmental meetings on occasion as required.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Qualified to degree/diploma level in Environmental Health with EHORB certificate of registration or equivalent relevant qualification.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Significant experience of environmental protection work including dealing with enquiries, carrying out inspections, investigations and research of a complex nature and preparing reports and making recommendations.
- Practical experience in the use of monitoring equipment and the production and presentation of technical and complex reports.
- Preparation and giving of evidence in court and public inquiries.
- Experience of responding effectively to changing demands and priorities, meeting targets and deadlines and maintaining quality services..
- Must have strong experience in working in partnership, including statutory and voluntary agencies.
- Experience of communicating with the public, other council departments, specialist consultants etc. – undertake public meetings where required.
- Experience of working under pressure, meeting deadlines, and prioritising work within a complex and wide ranging agenda.
- Experience of project management.
- Detailed knowledge and conversant with legislation relating to pollution control and all environmental protection functions.
- Demonstrate current working knowledge of complex noise and vibration sources and / or air quality control and/or contaminated land in relation to environmental protection and development control.
- An understanding of the different needs of a diverse population. Working in multi cultural diverse communities.
- Knowledge of effective project management methodologies and practices.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven skills in public engagement and services that interact with the public.
- Effective negotiation and advocacy skills.
- Demonstrates flexibility and embraces change.
- A demonstrably high level of analytical, verbal and numeric reasoning skills .
- Project management skills.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Environmental Health Officer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.