- Pay Rate:
Up to £370.00 per day PAYE depending on experience TBC
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Interim Director of Finance
Reference no: Tameside 0006 A7D8 / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £370.00 per day PAYE depending on experience TBC
Standard DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
Pay rate negotiable for the right candidate
Please note that the pay rate for this role is likely to be uplifted to reflect a higher than standard holiday allocation
The post holder will fulfil the statutory financial leadership role of Chief Finance Officer (CFO) for the Council being the Local Authority Officer under section 151 of the Local Government Act 1972. The post holder will have Director responsibility for Finance and ICT Services.
- Undertake the statutory duties of the Council’s Director of Finance under section 151 of the Local Government Act 1972 and to make arrangements for the proper administration of the Council’s financial affairs, monitoring their effectiveness in practice.
- Provide effective strategic leadership to drive the necessary digital transformation ensuring that the digital agenda and a high quality ICT back office service support our ambitions for a modern council.
- Lead and drive change in a political and challenging public finances context.
- Champion innovation by being open minded to new and radical ways to deliver our services and taking appropriate risks.
- Create robust project management approaches maximising people and financial resources to deliver positive outcomes.
- Work collaboratively across the Council to achieve the best outcomes for the residents of Tameside.
- Act as a principal advisor to the Council on strategy, policy options and the forward planning of objectives, services and resources to deliver the Council’s ambitions for the borough and the development of the Finance Directorate.
- Lead the delivery of innovative services, aligned to clear objectives that are supported by key decision-making and governance arrangements to deliver the priorities within the Council Plan.
- Work with Elected Members to understand and interpret their vision, policy and direction for the Council. Ensuring a strong working relationship is developed with Elected Members and displaying the skills to interpret their policy and direction into action whilst giving strong, honest and professional advice.
- Explore new partnership and commissioning opportunities and inclusive innovative delivery models within the Finance Directorate and across the Council to deliver high quality services to Tameside residents.
- Leading the Council’s Medium-Term Financial Strategy and driving the Council’s Recovery & Improvement plan from a Finance and Resources perspective.
- Lead creative services that support the development of the Council, including workforce development and inclusivity, digitisation of services, appropriate and strategic financial planning for services and providing the right technological infrastructure to deliver high quality services.
- Have strategic oversight of the development of the Council. Including the effective and appropriate governance covering planning and performance, ensuring financial challenges and risks are clearly articulated and understood.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Relevant professional accountancy qualification (CIMA/CCAB) and membership of an appropriate accounting body.
- Evidence of continued professional, managerial and personal development.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- A successful track record of consistent achievement as a leader and senior manager in relevant services in a large complex organisation with a customer focus.
- Substantial expertise in effectively managing culture and change initiatives, exploiting new opportunities and gaining commitment.
- Evidence of success in establishing a performance culture, and delivering performance improvements and the management and motivation of diverse staff groups.
- A track record of working in successful partnerships with a wide range of internal and external bodies, government departments and the private and voluntary sectors.
- Evidence of achieving improvements in equality within a large and complex organisation.
- Evidence of understanding the legal, financial and political workings of local government and the challenges faced by the Borough.
- A track record of working effectively within a political environment, providing clear and balanced advice and guidance on strategic issues to achieve corporate and service objectives.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to establish positive working relationships with government officials, professional and other organisations, elected members, partners, community members and employees to generate confidence, trust and respect.
- A proven ability to successfully manage complex budgets in tight financial situations.
- Ability to provide visible and supportive leadership, empowering, enabling, motivating and developing management teams and staff and fostering a positive organisational culture
- Ability to operate effectively within the democratic process, with political acumen and skills to develop productive working relationships with elected members that command respect, trust and confidence
- A knowledge and clear appreciation of service standards and governance in the public sector
- Demonstrate initiative and drive aimed at organisational service and individual excellence. Support and participate in the sharing and management of knowledge.
- Ability to contribute effectively to the corporate management of the Council and instil a sense of ownership amongst others with regard to corporate strategies, standards and priorities.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let me know and we can send you some additional information for clarify.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Director of Finance
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.