- Pay Rate:
£183.60 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2 - 3 months
- Southwark, London,
Interim Business Manager - Environment and Leisure
Reference no: Southwark 5224560
Pay Rate: £183.60 per day PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 2 - 3 months
You will be responsible for a range of operational and administrative functions to ensure that the support offered to Directors meets their individual needs and changes required align with Director’s objectives.
The Divisional Business Manager will assist the Departmental Business Manager on the core delivery of the directorate business support to ensure that the customer services delivered within Environment and Leisure are of high quality and that effective management processes are in place.
You will build strong internal networks and relationships.
You will ensure the department is compliant in terms of its Directorate support functions and is actively contributing to the departmental and corporate Strategy and performance framework, in addition to suggesting innovative developments.
- To provide effective, efficient and timely support to the Directors to ensure that the business of each division runs smoothly
- To lead on implementing appropriate information governance procedures and compliance strategies, including records management, statutory compliance, data quality, information sharing and management arrangements
- To assist the Departmental Business Manager in managing all aspects of administrative support, departmental coordination, and the decision-making process for the department
- To act in a liaison role with the wider team within the Department and externally as appropriate to ensure the business of the Department is carried out effectively and high standards of customer service on behalf of the Directors internally and externally
- To manage information governance and awareness initiatives within the department, including briefings, presentations to members, Directors, the Senior Management team, employees at all levels and external groups as necessary
- To oversee arrangements of meetings and briefings for cabinet members and other senior officers and for staff within the division and ensure that they are prepared in a timely manner and are effectively communicated.
- To contribute to cross-functional departmental projects to deliver any rapid changes required
- To ensure the support offered to Directors meets their individual needs and changes required are implemented and monitored Working with the Departmental Assistant and the wider team to ensure that Directors are well supported administratively
- Where appropriate takes on a departmental or cross service responsibility that links to a Director’s portfolio (e.g. efficiency, safeguarding, health etc), collation & quality assurance of information for Committee reports, departmental responses to emergency and business continuity plans etc requiring an understanding of the issues and related aims
- To monitor the effectiveness and implementation of any internal and third-party agreements.
- To manage the recruitment process for new/replacement staff and co-ordinate business input into their recruitment
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Business management degree or similar, or equivalent by experience
- Substantial knowledge of customer service practices, delivery and approaches in local government
- Substantial knowledge of all aspects of departmental coordination and the constitutional decision-making process (desirable)
- Extensive knowledge of processes for complying with legislative and regulatory frameworks governing the access to, retention, sharing and disposal of information
- An understanding of managerial concepts, practices and principles, including knowledge of project and strategic management
- An understanding of business planning and performance monitoring systems and how to use these to achieve improvement
- Broad knowledge and understanding of current developments in modernising local government and of the role of customer service improvements in this area
- Knowledge of the key elements of delivering effective departmental support services, specifically in providing assistance to Directors and Senior managers
- Experience of managing and delivering core support services including Customer service and Executive Assistant roles
- Experience of managing the decision-making processes in a complex organisation
- Experience of managing enquiries and sensitive information and issues for Senior officers, Councillors, external bodies and members of the public
- Experience of commissioning and contract management of services in a partnership environment (desirable)
- Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external colleagues to achieve desired outcomes and to facilitate information and skills sharing
- Experience of Budget Management, Monitoring and Financial Planning (desirable)
- Experience of presenting and reporting data in a range of formats to a high standard
- Project management skills; ability to plan and deliver improved service delivery
Aptitudes, Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to effectively manage, focus and drive teams to deliver a broad range of complex services
- Ability to lead and commission detailed business analysis to establish the key drivers for the delivery of key services
- Ability to influence and to negotiate with others to reach mutually beneficial outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to encourage positive working relationships between staff and colleagues
- Ability to work flexibly as part of a team and to work on a number of different projects simultaneously
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Interim Business Manager - Environment and Leisure
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.