- Pay Rate:
£17.10 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- Romford, Essex,
Temporary Housing Officer – Social Housing
Reference no: Havering RQ810180
Pay Rate: £17.10 per hour PAYE
The purpose of the role is to provide a high quality housing management service which deals with tenancy and leasehold management services to residents living in social housing stock. Be an advocate and champion for the housing service into your local patch.
Support people to sustain their homes and quality of life. Provide advice for safeguarding and health and well-being on a wide range of issues including housing, welfare rights, personal finance, hoarding, tenancy management, mediation, life skills and the promotion of personal independence.
- Provide a holistic housing management service to residents on defined patch or area. Ensure residents and staff are aware of best way to manage and maintain local area.
- Manage casework, provide advice and make decisions in line with tenancy terms, lease conditions, and other policy and procedural guidelines. Communicate with customers through high standards of responsiveness, courtesy and professionalism.
- Values and respects residents, their advocates and representatives in making choices, explains and informs residents of policies relevant to their issues, concerns or behaviours.
- Maintain effective planned schedule of visits and inspections to quantify, evaluate and deliver the right resources to address support and enforcement requirements across entire patch or local area. Acts as lead case officer to deliver best outcome whether through support or through court action.
- Develop partnerships with relevant agencies and services which address the needs of residents. Profile tenants at risk of failing tenancies and develop support plans with clear outcomes. Act as lead for support plans, and complex needs conducting regular reviews to increase likelihood of sustaining their home.
- Performs to high standards of customer care, makes clear decisions with regard tenancy and leasehold management, acts professionally and uses appropriate judgement on how best to manage complex cases.
- Convenes multi agency and case conferences to resolve issues locally.
- Actively contributes towards innovation and change to ensure team cohesion and service development is part of their own personal ambition.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Hold an appropriate qualification in a relevant field: NVQ, Diploma, relevant degree or relevant experience.
- A good standard of education with English and Maths GCSE grade A-C or equivalent.
- Current Driving Licence.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Working in social housing, care or similar public sector housing management role.
- Experience of dealing with complex casework both face to face and in writing.
- Experience of developing relationships with wide range of local stakeholders and partners.
- Experience of providing good tenancy, housing and leasehold advice, best practice and compliance is desirable.
- Experience working in a front facing team interviewing and assessing clients’ housing requirements / needs
- Experience of effective multi-disciplinary working.
- Experience of working on defined operational projects, working to tight deadlines and objectives with minimum supervision.
Skills & Abilities:
- To be a confident, engaging communicator, able to positively handle contact with clients from a range of backgrounds and with complex needs.
- Have the ability to build and maintain a good understanding of wider council and department objectives, services and initiatives and an understanding of how these interface with delivery of housing needs services.
- The ability to handle conflict, or potential conflict situations with clients who may be distressed, dissatisfied or potentially aggressive/ violent, and to do so within the Council’s policy/procedure on carrying out such interviews.
- The ability to build & maintain a thorough working knowledge in using data and case management systems to ensure data quality and effective sharing of work.
- Proven ability to work with several software applications in conjunction, and proficiency in Microsoft and database use.
- Ability to handle and respond to customer complaints clearly and comprehensively in keeping with the council’s service standards.
- Ability to have or acquire an excellent working knowledge of all appropriate elements of housing, tenancy and leasehold management relating to the role.
- Ability to have and maintain an up to date knowledge of relevant legislation, policy and strategy areas.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Housing Officer – Social Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.