- Pay Rate:
Up to £23.09 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, 08:40 - 17:15
This opening assignment is for 2 months
- LEAMINGTON SPA, Warwickshire,
Interim Housing Development Manager – Housing Services
Reference no: Warwick 5239582
Pay rate: Up to £23.09 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, 08:40 - 17:15
This opening assignment is for 2 months
City: LEAMINGTON SPA, Warwickshire
A Housing Development Manager is required to be the driving force behind the operational delivery of the large multi-million programme of new Council House Building, overseeing relationships with housing delivery partners and delivering the development strategy to meet the needs of Warwick in all tenures; affordable, commercial and private rented.
- Take a lead on the delivery of all housing development opportunities as required by the Development Partnerships Manager. This involves sourcing development opportunities, assessing feasibilities using the appropriate systems such as Proval and Sequel, making sizeable financial offers, and often negotiation with senior personnel and land agents. Working with internal staff, external agencies, consultants and professional services to take schemes through to completion and handover.
- Direct and manage the Senior Housing Development Officer and Development team to deliver the housing programme. This post holder is instrumental in driving that culture change through their team (by providing positive challenge, training, support and coaching) so that a high-quality service is delivered by a motivated workforce committed to a customer focused, personalised service that focuses on solutions.
- Responsible for managing significant capital budgets, by making financial offers to developers, seeking Executive approval for significant capital sums, managing the budgets and the programme to ensure value for money. In addition, taking into account the climate emergency to secure net zero carbon housing as closely as possible for all housing delivered.
- Effectively represent the Council in negotiations, discussions, meetings and consultations with Councillors, the Portfolio holder, and with various internal departments such as planning, housing strategy and external agencies, to ensure delivery of schemes
- Develop and foster productive strategic and working relationships with external as well as internal, particularly, statutory and voluntary agencies, registered providers, property developers, and Homes England. The aim is to secure the effective use of sites, grant funding and the development of sites to meet housing need across all tenures in the district. To specifically secure significant grant funding from Homes England to ensure the on-going delivery of housing of all tenures within the remit.
- Drive and support improvements to the services delivered across the whole of the service area.
- Adopt a commercial approach to housing development to deliver housing schemes for both the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account to ensure an effective return in terms of rent to service loans and sales to deliver profit for the General Fund via the Local Housing Company, Milverton Homes.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Housing, Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors or any other equivalent professional membership.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of managing staff and delivering customer focused quality services.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of developing housing schemes, both s106 and land led opportunities with a Local Authority, Registered Provider or private developer.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of working with various partners including Homes England and private housing developers to deliver local authority housing objectives.
- A proven track record of commercial acumen to identify and drive forward commercial opportunities in the area of land acquisition and development.
- Experience of recognising and managing risk.
- Significant experience of managing substantial budgets.
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams desirable.
- Experience of using systems tools to collate and analyse financial and other data e.g. Proval or Sequel desirable.
- Strategic understanding of housing development processes.
- Ability to understand the key drivers and partnerships to increase the provision of affordable homes.
- Knowledge of strategic planning and alignment of the Housing Strategy with other cross cutting priorities such as the Local Plan and economic development.
- Understanding of the regulatory environment in Housing.
- Knowledge of housing performance and reporting structures, systems and methodologies.
- Knowledge of the development processes, developing s106 and land led opportunities and value for money in this context.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the broad Housing Agenda and its impact on society, combined with the ability to convey this to others desirable.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent wide ranging communication, consultation and negotiating skills including experience of providing advice at a corporate level and to elected Members.
- Effective planning, partnership, problem solving, organisational and time management skills.
- An ability to understand, analyse and act upon management information.
- Strong and effective leadership skills including the ability to motivate staff and manage performance to meet agreed targets.
- Good understanding of and commitment to both quality and equality in service delivery and management.
- Ability to present information using a variety of communication methods to different audiences.
- Full driving licence and access to a vehicle.
- A flexible approach to meet the ongoing needs of the Service Area and Council as a whole. Willingness to work out of hours when necessary.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Housing Development Manager – Housing Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.