- Pay Rate:
£26.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Bracknell, Berkshire,
Interim Housing Benefit Subsidy & Systems Specialist
Reference no: Bracknell RQ846164
Pay Rate: £26.00 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 3 months
Enhanced DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
The post holder will have lead responsibility for the Council’s statutory subsidy reporting requirements and for monitoring and proactively managing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support expenditure; safeguarding and maximising benefit subsidy; identifying and managing the risks associated with this and proactively developing policies and procedures that support subsidy optimisation, while ensuring compliance with all new and existing legislation.
- To maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the principles and procedures of benefits administration and performance recording.
- To lead on End of Year processes, including updating systems and awarding entitlements.
- Timely and accurate completion, submission, and verification by external audit of all returns relating to the annual subsidy claim.
- Timely and accurate completion and submission of all returns relating to the annual Discretionary Housing Payment, Housing Benefit overpayments and any other statutory returns and funding measures.
- Produce and examine regular quality control, monitoring, and exception reports to protect the Welfare Service from loss of subsidy.
- Scrutinise performance data from extracts and reports ensuring that appropriate information is recorded and validated.
- Monitor financial output from the benefits system to ensure data for subsidy purposes balances and evidence is available for audit purposes.
- Reconcile manual adjustments and discrepancies for annual subsidy claim.
- Ensure financial controls are reconciled, including payments and subsidy claims.
- Act as lead officer for DWP external systems including EAS and Searchlight, completing BPSS checks and administering the system.
- Liaise, closely with internal and external stakeholders such as IT, internal and external audit and system account managers and software providers.
- Maintain and update the online functions within the service including online application software and webpages.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Minimum GCSE level English and Maths or equivalent through relevant experience/training.
- IRRV qualification desirable.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Detailed knowledge of Housing Benefit Regulations 2006.
- Experience of working in a benefit or subsidy-based environment.
- Detailed knowledge of Housing Benefit subsidy rules and classifications.
- Knowledge of local council tax schemes, discounts, liabilities and exemptions.
- Ability to manage and prioritise a varied case load of work.
- Experience of direct work with internal and external auditors.
- A highly developed ability to solve wicked problems and identify opportunities to prevent them.
- Highly developed awareness of risk in a Housing Benefit environment around subsidy and end of year processes.
- Understanding of and commitment to the requirements of safeguarding children, young people, vulnerable adults and promoting their welfare.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Housing Benefit Subsidy & Systems Specialist
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.