- Pay Rate:
Up to £17.01 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- Swinton, Greater Manchester,
Temporary Homelessness Prevention Officer – Housing
Job Ref: Salford 0008 5119 / 1
Pay Rate: Up to £17.01 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hours per week: 36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
City: Swinton, Greater Manchester
The purpose of the role is to contribute towards the delivery of an effective and efficient Housing Options Service by providing a face to face and telephone service to customers.
The role of a Homelessness Prevention Officer involves providing customers with housing advice with a strong focus on preventing homelessness, and where homelessness cannot be prevented to assist with finding alternative accommodation, and making decisions in line with homelessness legislation when required.
- Assist in managing demand for housing by managing customer expectations while offering advice and assistance and housing options, acting as a caseworker to customers who approach the council with a housing need and directing them to a solution. Where appropriate, this includes assisting clients to retain their existing accommodation or giving the full range of alternative housing options.
- Conduct full enquiries and make decisions under the homelessness legislation on the council’s duty where the client is homeless or threatened with homelessness, ensuring the council meets its statutory duties with reference to the Housing Act 1996 parts 6 and 7, the Homelessness Act 2002 and the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, taking into account the relevant Codes Of Guidance and case law.
- Liaise with other organisations, agencies and service providers as appropriate including Childrens’ Services, Adult Social Care, police, Welfare Rights and Debt Advice, Housing Benefit Service and landlords in order to prevent homelessness or sustain future accommodation.
- Liaise with accommodation providers across a range of tenures to secure suitable offers of accommodation for customers, ensuring that the appropriate paperwork is issued.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of all customers’ applications including both applications to the housing register and applications made under the homelessness legislation, ensuring that records are kept up to date and the necessary correspondence sent.
- Undertake home visits and visits to other locations such as hospitals and prisons as required; to attend at different locations across the city to provide advice surgeries as required.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
*** Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Proficient in Locator application to be able to support with this specific ask.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritising workload, managing multiple demands and a busy workload whilst meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work unsupervised and at times alone, using own initiative
- Interviewing skills.
- Ability to negotiate and mediate appropriate solutions.
- Ability to develop strong relationships and joint working to improve outcomes for homeless households.
- Ability to work with people to resolve their housing issues in a way that enables homeless households to seek their own solutions.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Homelessness Prevention Officer – Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.