- Pay Rate:
Up to £34.21 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday to Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- ASHTON UNDER LYNE,
Interim Head of Planning - Planning Services
Reference no: Tameside 0008 371C / 1
Pay rate: Up to £34.21 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hours per week: 36 Monday to Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
City: ASHTON UNDER LYNE
An Interim Head of Planning is required to lead the planning services, ensuring delivery of first class services to developers, applicants and residents. Ensure the service supports the delivery of the Council's Corporate Plan, Inclusive Growth Strategy, Housing Strategy, and GM Environment Plan and identifies strategic transportation needs. Lead the Local Plan process and lead the council's input to the Greater Manchester Transport Delivery Plan, Tameside Local Implementation Plan and Environment Plan, working with the GM Combined Authority. Lead on the services transformation projects to reduce service demands, aligning with the Governments Planning reforms. Champion high quality design and sustainable development, in supporting delivery of the GM Places for People Plan, Tameside Local Plan, promoting strategic sites, major development programmes, inward investment, town centre regeneration and housing developments. Increase Tameside's economic vitality and generate new income streams to support the financial sustainability of the Council.
- Provide leadership, motivation and day-to-day management for the professional and support teams involved in Planning Development Management, Planning Policy, Planning enforcement Building Control, and the GM Ecology service.
- Deputise for the Director of Place, as and when required at Single Leadership Team, Executive Board, Executive Cabinet, Scrutiny Committees and GMCA Leader's briefings as required on Planning matters.
- Support the Director of Place with MP briefings relating to Planning matters.
- Project sponsor on regeneration and development programmes.
- Provide updates and briefings to the Executive Member(s) as required.
- Set the goals, objectives, agenda and work programme for the service areas and individual staff, maximising performance against local, regional and national benchmarks.
- Ensure adequate input to the GM Places for People Plan and progress the Council's Local Plan and Development Plan Documents, and the delivery of robust, effective and appropriate planning policy for adoption by the Council.
- Ensure the teams appropriately engage with residents, local businesses, agencies and partners to ensure the maximum appropriate consultation and community participation in all matters relating to planning and transport planning matters in the Borough.
- Ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Council's statutory development management process. Ensure there is an effective and efficient model of delivery for the Council's statutory Building Control Service.
- Promote Tameside as a key business location for development and inward investment. Promote to government, development agencies, Greater Manchester Combined Authority and all other external bodies to deliver desired Corporate Plan priorities and outcomes.
- Work with Assistant directors and other Heads of Service to bring forward strategic sites and major development programmes, in support of economic and housing growth.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Planning Degree.
- Chartered Town Planner (MRTPI) or equivalent experience.
- Evidence of continued professional development.
- Experience of either a) leading a Local Plan process through to adoption, including experience of presenting the Council's case at Examination in Public or, b) significant experience of planning applications for major developments.
- Experience of writing and presenting complex reports and policy documents.
- Experience of managing planning teams.
- Experience of working collaboratively and in partnerships with subregional partners and neighbouring local authorities.
- Experience of brokering effective collaboration between a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience of reporting to Boards, Panels or Committees.
- Experience of leading planning and building control services desirable.
- Experience of a leadership role in a Council or similar complex organisation desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of Strategic Planning issues more especially as it affects the urban area and green belt both locally and across the wider region.
- Knowledge of transport planning issues more especially as it affects the urban area both locally and across the wider region and how it can support economic and housing growth.
- In depth understanding and up-to-date knowledge of legislation, regulations and government policy as it relates to the service areas in the Planning Division.
- Knowledge of Government funded programmes, especially relating to town centre regeneration desirable.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong leadership style, with motivational qualities.
- Strong personal and political acumen, with an understanding and ability to form and maintain relationships at all levels of the organisation and use them to positive effect.
- Good communication skills, with sound judgement on when to brief the Director, Executive Member and Ward Members.
- Able to present to a variety of audiences credibly and persuasively.
- Able to influence and be assertive when necessary.
- Able to develop and maintain appropriate and professional working relationship with Elected Members, Senior Officers, businesses, developers and partner organisations.
- A strong passionate leader, with energy and credibility, able to motivate a team and achieve results individually and through other people, delegate and empower as appropriate.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Head of Planning – Planning Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.