- Pay Rate:
Up to £35.09 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, 08:30-17:00
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- MARCH, Cambridgeshire,
Interim Head of Planning
Reference no: Fenland 5244887
Pay rate: Up to £35.09 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, 08:30-17:00
This opening assignment is for 3 months
City: MARCH, Cambridgeshire
The purpose of this role is to be the lead professional advisor on Planning matters and to develop, manage, empower and support the Council’s planning staff, promoting and working within the Council’s ‘one team’ culture. Reporting to and working closely with the Corporate Management Team (CMT) you will be responsible for delivering key objectives within the Council’s Local Plan, Business Plan and delivering upon the Council’s pro-growth agenda. To deliver a high performing planning service to ensure excellence in service delivery and customer care, responsive to local needs.
- Develop, manage and motivate all of your teams embracing the transformation agenda through continuing to modernise practices, processes and procedures to provide quality, efficient and enabling services that respond to key priorities and customer needs.
- Provide effective, pragmatic and inspirational management and leadership of the service, ensuring that all staff are highly competent and focused on performance and customer service, are equipped to achieve organisational goals, add value and maintain the delivery of efficient services.
- Promote and maintain a high performing service aligned to the Council’s PI’s and Government performance trackers that responds to the Council’s requirements and those of its customers.
- Ensure the timely development and delivery of the Local Plan, working with Members, Partners and other teams in the Council ensuring it responds to the Council’s pro growth agenda and Business Plan.
- Take a leading role to ensure effective engagement with key partners and stakeholders at a national, regional and local level, maximise additional resource opportunities and raise the council’s profile.
- Ensure the effective delivery and integration of work as a Local Planning Authority on regional planning policy and local strategies related to spatial, economic, social, environmental and transportation matters for the benefit of the Fenland community including through the Combined Authority.
- Develop robust and effective community engagement and consultation processes to ensure local opinion informs the Council’s and other partner’s decision making.
- Provide consistent, clear and effective advice to Members, particularly the Planning Committee, and to the CMT to the highest professional standards, on all relevant matters.
- Support the development of Members in their ability to understand and deal effectively with strategic and technical/legal planning related issues.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- MRTPI or eligible to be MRTPI.
- Post graduate qualification in management or evidence of significant management development.
- NVQ Level 3 Management qualification or equivalent desirable.
- Evidence of transforming/modernising services successfully to improve service delivery.
- A proven track record of leadership and management in a broadly comparable working environment.
- Effective management of service improvement and change.
- Evidence of the development of Local Plans or other Planning policy or Planning guidance documents.
- Experience of advising a Planning Committee of decisions on major planning applications and dealing with complex planning appeals.
- Experience in managing pro-active and highly motivated teams of people in delivering quality and enabling services.
- An in depth knowledge and understanding of Planning law, guidelines and practices in support of planning, conservation, enforcement and building control.
- Knowledge of the wider political and service delivery agenda of Councils.
Skills & Abilities:
- Sound political judgement and experience of influencing decision makers and community opinion to achieve project objectives.
- Sound appreciation of allied professions, including urban design, landscape architecture, ecology, and heritage conservation.
- Able to demonstrate strong leadership, motivational and inspirational skills with the ability to utilise these successfully internally and externally.
- Ability to see the strategic picture in terms of economic and community regeneration that will support the delivery of the Council’s key priorities.
- Able to demonstrate and apply a ‘one-team’ based management style that empowers others to use their initiative and creativity in a highly supportive environment.
- Demonstrate highly-developed negotiation skills in respect of major planning proposals and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate excellent written, oral and presentation skills together with the ability to relate to people at all levels.
- Sound project, financial, ICT and performance management skills.
- Ability to analyse complex issues and present them in an understandable form to a wide audience.
- Valid driving licence and access to a vehicle.
- Ability to work flexibly, including unsociable hours, evenings and weekends if required.
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Head of Planning
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.