- Pay Rate:
£30.91 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6-7 months
Interim Finance Year End Specialist Accountant – Financial Services
Job Ref: Surrey TCL 88812
Pay Rate: £30.91 per hour PAYE
Hours per week: 35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 6-7 months
Standard DBS disclosure required for this role
The Corporate Finance Team provide financial accounting support to both Surrey County Council and Tandridge District Council. This role will provide additional capacity to the team, providing year end advice and producing the Statement of Accounts for both entities, including Group accounts.
In this role the successful candidate will work across the finance team to ensure compliant and timely accounts are produced and liaise with external auditors to ensure the smooth running of the audit process.
- Produce and maintain the annual chart of accounts, ensuring it reflects the council's financial structure and meets regulatory requirements.
- Oversee the preparation of financial reports and statements, ensuring accuracy, compliance with accounting standards, and timely submission to internal and external stakeholders.
- Act as the technical expert on accounting practices, providing guidance for the production of the annual accounts.
- Staying abreast, and communicating changes in accounting standards and regulations.
- Serve as the single point of contact and authority for external auditors. Coordinate audit processes, address audit findings, and ensure compliance with audit requirements.
- Ensure adherence to financial regulations, accounting standards, and government financial reporting requirements. Maintain a robust system of internal controls.
- Receiving, analysing and understanding the implications of changes in requirements for the council’s annual accounts which come from central government or the accountancy standards body.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders, including councillors, senior management, auditors, and government agencies, to provide financial information and answer queries
- Ensure that systems are in place throughout the organisation to ensure compliance with financial regulations. Oversee learning and development initiatives to promote regulatory adherence.
- Collaborate with IT teams to implement and maintain appropriate IT systems that support financial controls and reporting.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Fully qualified CCAB accountant.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Extensive experience of working in finance and accounting in a complex organisation to include applying accounting standards to a high level and completion of statutory accounts.
- Able to guide the development of a year-end closedown timetable.
- Experience of working in finance and accounting role in a local authority to include completion of statutory accounts and central government accounting returns.
- Experience of providing financial advice to management.
- Experience in accounting for non-current assets in a local authority, including Housing Revenue Account dwellings and commissioning and liaising with external valuers.
- Experience of writing clear reports on complex and technical financial subjects and the ability to present these to various audiences.
- Capable of completing and presenting formal written reports for senior management, elected members and other stakeholders.
- Experienced in dealing with external audit queries.
- Experience at an advanced level of a range of office software systems e.g. MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint or equivalents.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Finance Year End Specialist Accountant–Financial Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.