- Pay Rate:
£21.80 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Southwark, London,
Interim Environment Adviser - Procurement Climate Change
Job Ref: LFB 0006 BEFD / 1
Pay Rate: £21.80 per hour PAYE
Basic DBS disclosure required for this role
Hybrid working available
The Environment Adviser is responsible to the Head of Sustainable Development for the provision of competent advice to all personnel, both operational and non-operational personnel, in response to requests and on a pro-active basis. This includes developing environmental strategies, policies, procedures and standards.
- To manage the existing Environmental Management System (EMS), certified to IS0 14001 Standard, and to drive the cycle of continual improvement in both the management of our estate and in the way we respond to operational incidents.
- To ensure the Brigade’s Environment Policy remains current and is implemented throughout the organisation.
- To manage the environmental internal audit programme covering stations, departments, legal compliance, data and the system itself, including conducting audits on a regular basis, to ensure compliance with legislation and with internal procedures; and, to advise local managers where improvements are necessary.
- To manage and facilitate external audits of the organisation’s EMS.
- Ensure existing plans on environmental issues remain current, facilitate their implementation and report on their progress.
- Deliver and keep the Middle Manager Environment Protection training package up to date.
- Provide a full range of Sustainable Development and environmental advice to all parts in a timely and effective manner, attending meetings and site visits as and when necessary.
- Promote and motivate staff awareness on sustainability issues including sustainable development and environmental policies, procedures and standards as they develop through a range of measures including presentations to staff and senior officers.
- Lead on the investigation of Brigade related incidents for environmental compliance when required and/or to assist others with investigations.
- Produce detailed reports resulting from workplace inspections, quarterly update reports and contribute to Annual reports.
- Draft strategy, policy and procedural notes on sustainable development and environment issues, assisting in their implementation as required.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
A degree in a relevant environmental subject and membership of iema or recognition as a Chartered Environmentalist plus relevant working experience in environmental management at a managerial level.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience of Environmental Management Systems certified to IS0 14001 Standard in a large multi-site organisation.
- Experience of conducting environmental workplace inspections to a high standard and producing written reports.
- Experience of conducting environmental risk assessment on a range of work activities and producing detailed reports.
- Experience of recognising and dealing appropriately with sensitive issues and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Experience of using a range of information technology applications including project management and an awareness of how they can be utilised in the context of the job role.
- A good knowledge of Environmental Management Systems and the IS014001 International Standard.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of environment and associated legislation and best practice.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of the principles of Sustainable Development.
- An understanding of equality issues and a commitment to ensuring appropriate policies are adhered to.
Skills & Abilities:
- Good inter-personal skills in order to liaise with, and influence, staff at all levels.
- Good communication skills: Written, in order to draft complex reports and other documentation and Oral, in order to liaise with all levels of multi-disciplined staff and staff representatives and outside bodies.
- Good analytical skills in order to undertake research, summarise findings and to identify solutions to complex problems and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Good organisational skills in order to manage workloads, respond to changing priorities and undertake project management and monitoring.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Environment Adviser - Procurement Climate Change
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.