- Pay Rate:
£31.91 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- KINGSON UPON THAMES,
Interim EHO/Technical Officer
Reference no: Kingston RQ842495
Pay rate £31.91 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 3 months
To provide a range of professional and/or technical services within a single shared service across two council areas carrying out a portfolio of regulatory, compliance, enforcement and related activities
- As a member of a team, to provide services to the communities within Kingston and Sutton through a single shared service delivery model across the two council areas covering a range of disciplines within regulatory services (to be agreed).
- To arrange and organise a personal case/workload, within boundaries agreed with the relevant Service Manager, but also taking the initiative in responding and adjusting to the changing demands of the team as required.
- Undertake unaccompanied visits and inspections (unless concerns exist about personal safety or specialist advice required in support) to residential and business premises in response to both reactive complaints and proactive risk-based inspection programmes.
- To review information and evidence gathered during a regulatory and compliance visit or inspection and formulate an appropriate response e.g. no action, informal advice or formal action. (Note: a Tier 1 graded officer would normally discuss the need for formal action and seek approval from a Tier 2 graded officer and above before proceeding. Tier 2 graded officers would normally have the autonomy to proceed without reference to a more senior officer).
- Consistent with the above, to initiate and take responsibility for sending letters, emails and formal notices to individual members of the public and businesses/organisations on relevant regulatory and enforcement matters, seeking specific approval from the Lead Office or Service Manager in more complex cases or where required by scheme of delegated authority and commensurate with individual knowledge and experience.
- Where required, to take responsibility for the operation and maintenance (e.g. calibration and testing) of high asset value specialised technical equipment that supports investigations and measurements of environmental and trading standards matters within the community (e.g. noise monitoring and air quality monitoring equipment, temperature probes).
- To critically analyse qualitative and quantitative evidence and data provided or collected to establish whether an intervention is required to protect health, safety or welfare e.g. to establish whether a statutory nuisance exists, a weights and measures infringement or a specialist consultant’s report into microbial analysis of food.
- Provide accurate and up-to-date information for the Lead Officer and Service Manager as required, assisting with effective budget setting and monitoring, ensuring best value for money from the team service budget(s), including maximising income and reducing costs. (Note: a Tier 2 graded officer may have direct day-to-day responsibility for an element of the service budget and/or for a significant piece of equipment).
- Maintain effective and direct communication with statutory agencies (e.g. HSE and FSA) and other relevant individuals, organisations and bodies that the Council has contact with
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- An appropriate qualification in Environmental Health and/or Trading Standards or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience within one or more recognised specialist area of environmental health (including private sector housing and licensing) and/or trading standards
- Experience in dealing with: Housing standards in the private rented sector and issues including HHSRS inspections, House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), Licensing Noise nuisance, Other statutory nuisance, Filthy & Verminous premises, Pest control enforcement, Campsite licensing, Drainage
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.