- Pay Rate:
£200.80 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Interim Democratic Services Officer
Reference no: Oxfordshire 5228031
Pay rate £200.80 per day PAYE
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
To join a team which is responsible for arranging and supporting a wide range of meetings attended by Councillors, officers and members of the public
- To act as secretary to all assigned meetings with responsibility for making all necessary arrangements, servicing and providing relevant advice and guidance to ensure the smooth and effective running of each meeting in compliance with statutory and Council procedures.
- To initiate any action necessary to ensure that the agenda includes all relevant items and to follow-up decisions taken in terms of reporting them to those who need to know and indicating clearly the actions to be taken, by whom and by when.
- To maintain an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of legislation and Corporate Policy, Standing Orders, Council Constitution and the Codes of Conduct.
- To ensure that the minutes accurately record the proceedings of any meeting serviced and are properly distributed to all relevant officers/agencies/organisations in a timely fashion.
- To provide appropriate assistance to the Principal Democratic Services Officers and senior managers within Legal & Democratic Services, including undertaking specific projects and assignments.
- To assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of IT-based systems in relation to the post holder’s area of responsibility and to contribute to the same for the service, including development and reviews of committee administration.
- To assist with propriety control matters, e.g. registration of Members’ interests of declarations and compliance with Access to Information requirements.
- To research and draft replies to correspondence as directed, including dealing with complaints from Members and from the public in accordance with the Council’s Corporate Complaints procedure and endeavoring to resolve them satisfactorily.
- To be an authoritative point of reference on all matters concerning committee administration.
- To ensure compliance with existing and new legislation specific to committee administration, procedures and practices
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Knowledge of local authority governance processes and able to advise elected members around meeting procedure and related matters
- Relevant experience
- First-Rate interpersonal skills and comfortable working in a fast-Moving political environment
- Able to work to tight deadlines and produce agendas, reports and minutes quickly following meetings
- Able to communicate openly and effectively, presenting succinct, well balanced information orally and in writing, with clear outcomes
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Democratic Services Officer
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.