- Pay Rate:
up to £33.58 per hour PAYE depending on experience (tbc)
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 4 months
Interim Consultant - Public Health
Reference no: Sunderland 2023 AGY 31
Pay rate up to £33.58 per hour PAYE depending on experience (tbc)
This opening assignment is for 4 months
Standard DBS disclosure required
You will be working within the Health Housing and Communities Directorate reporting directly to the Executive Director for Public Health. The post holder will make a strategic contribution to improving health and wellbeing and reducing inequalities for Sunderland
- Be expected to demonstrate expertise in the full range of relevant competencies as set out by the Faculty of Public Health. This includes evaluation techniques, policy analysis and translation and ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders including politicians.
- Establish strong relationships within City Council as well as strong partnership working with the Integrated Care Board, local Primary Care Networks (PCNs), key provider organisations and other key external bodies including UKHSA, OHID and NHS England.
- Be able to cope with multiple and changing demands, and to meet tight deadlines. High levels of intellectual rigour, political awareness, negotiation, motivation skills and flexibility are required.
- Deal with highly complex public health issues, advising officers and elected members within the Council and the Health and Wellbeing Board, making recommendations regarding services, patient care and the wider determinants of health.
- Be able to understand other cultures, advise, challenge and advocate to enable effective working across organisational boundaries. The ability to influence without direct authority and demonstrate a high level of tact, diplomacy and leadership are required.
- Support the Executive Director Health, Housing & Communities to identify local priorities and support the planning and/or commissioning of interventions to address those priorities and to reduce health inequalities. To seek out opportunities to secure additional funding where possible for the delivery of evidenced based interventions that will address those priorities.
- Support the Executive Director Health, Housing & Communities to deliver in relation to a range of public health outcomes within key partnership and Council plans, such as the City Plan, and associated Directorate and Service Plans
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- UK trained in Public Health, they must ALSO be a holder of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or be within six months of award of CCT by date of interview. If an applicant is non-UK trained, they will be required to show evidence of equivalence to the UK CCT
- MFPH by examination, by exemption or by assessment, or equivalent
- In depth knowledge of methods of developing clinical quality assurance, quality improvement, evaluations and evidence based public health practice
- Strong and demonstrable understanding of interfaces between health, social care and key partners (dealing with wider determinants of health)
- Understanding of the public sector duty and the inequality duty and their application to public health practice
- In depth understanding of the health and care system and the relationships with both local national government
- Experience of using complex information to explain public health issues to a range of audiences
- Strategic thinker with proven leadership skills and operational nous
- Analytical skills able to utilize both qualitative (including health economics) and quantitative information
- Ability to design, develop, interpret and implement strategies and policies
- Able to demonstrate and motivate organisations to contribute to improving the public’s health and wellbeing through mainstream activities and within resources
- Ability to lead and manage the response successfully in unplanned and unforeseen circumstances
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Consultant - Public Health
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.