- Pay Rate:
£14.17 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- HENGOED, Wales,
Temporary Clerk of Works / Housing Surveyor x2
Reference no: Caerphilly 5230579
Pay rate: £14.17 per hour PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Car driver with valid license, insurance and vehicle or ability to travel throughout the county to attend site visits
A Clerk of Works / Housing Surveyor is required to assist in the provision of the efficient and effective repairs and maintenance service and the delivery of associated housing management services and to contribute to improvements to the housing stock and delivery of associated housing services including contractor monitoring. To carry out internal and external surveys of Housing properties and provide technical advice and support to relevant managers and ensure the delivery of site works in accordance within approved standards, specifications and schedules associated with WHQS and HRO.
- Undertake pre and post inspections and contract duties and assist in the preparation and control of contract works and response maintenance where required. Undertake full property inspections including void properties and specify required works.
- Record and refer any issues identified relating to property conditions or tenancy conditions e.g. breaches of tenancy, safeguarding, domestic violence, to relevant Estate Management Officer.
- Take and report any defects to the housing stock and process any work relating to resolving these defects.
- Identify tenant damage and unauthorised tenant alterations and provide technical assistance where required.
- Undertake site inspections to ensure that the work undertaken is in accordance with the specification and contract requirements and associated documentation.
- Agree variations and issue directions to contractors and operatives within the in-house workforce when required, and maintain site records and administration.
- Post inspect work as required and ensure that it conforms to departmental and contractual standards and in full compliance with all relevant legislation, completing customer satisfaction surveys when required. Assist in the implementation of a programme for planned improvement works and preventative maintenance.
- Prepare specifications of work for planned improvements, in compliance with WHQS standards, including kitchen and bathroom design and general maintenance, ensuring that all relevant areas of legislation are considered and addressed to safeguard the Council, members of the public, employees and contractors.
- Pre inspect void properties to specify the required end of tenancy work, prior to re-let and to identify recharges to outgoing tenants. Post inspect end of tenancy work to confirm satisfactory completion and complete relevant re-let standard checklist / WHQS Certificate and related documentation. Establish extent of eligibility of void properties for decoration allowances.
- Flexible with regard to working hours and where the service requires, be prepared to work unsociable hours.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Relevant Level 3 qualification on the Credit and Qualifications Framework.
- Relevant Professional Qualification / Accreditation. For example, Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) desirable.
- Relevant Level 4 qualification on the Credit and Qualifications Framework. For example, HNC Building Surveying desirable.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Experience of working in a building maintenance, repair service or equivalent business environment.
- Experience of working within a large organisation and the ability to demonstrate good organisational skills and customer care.
- Experience of working with asbestos and examining risk assessments, plans of works etc.
- Experience of working in a housing or construction related service.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Knowledge of relevant Risk Assessments, Method Statements, Safe Systems of Work and Health and Safety issues relating to the post.
- Knowledge of building construction.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of asbestos containing materials and the associated risk.
- Knowledge of planned maintenance and major project procurement desirable.
- Awareness of tenancy management legislation and policies and knowledge of Welsh Housing Quality Standards (WHQS) desirable.
- Ability to carry out site surveys, recognise building defects, analyse, evaluate and offer a solution.
- Ability to read and prepare drawings, schedules, safety plans, programmes, reports and specifications.
- Good diagnostic skills and experience to pre-inspect and diagnose requirements for repairs, new installations or refurbishments.
- Ability to co-ordinate and organise technical information.
- Ability to assess and deal effectively with tenants queries on a daily basis with a full commitment to the principles of Customer Care.
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team and demonstrate a professional and flexible approach to work.
- Display an objective and balanced attitude towards dealing with clients, complaints and enquiries.
- Able to work under pressure, organise and prioritise workload, meet tight time-scales and make sound decisions quickly.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels with good negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
- Car driver with valid license, insurance and vehicle or ability to travel throughout the county to attend site visits.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Clerk of Works / Housing Surveyor x2
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.