- Pay Rate:
£31.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
- MORDEN, London,
Temporary Childcare Lawyer – Corporate Services
Reference no: Merton 5222809
Pay rate: £31.00 per hour PAYE
An experienced Childcare Lawyer with local authority experience is required to hold caseload without supervision. To provide customer focused, high quality and responsive specialist legal advice and be responsible for delivering a variety of types of legal work as expected. To be responsible, at different levels of seniority, for providing creative legal solutions on a seamless basis to support service transformation and change and to meet client needs and to carry out an extensive caseload of complex and sensitive matters.
- Provide timely and effective specialist legal advice to elected members, including committees and to Chief Officers, senior managers and officers across both authorities as part of a team of lawyers, and to any other clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- Responsible for providing innovative solutions to deal with complex issues arising in connection with the work within the team and the legal issues presented by clients.
- Manage a large caseload of wide ranging work, including but not limited to; drafting legal letters, legal agreements, deeds, notices, orders, consents by-laws as well as negotiating agreements, settlements and such matters, managing competing demands and meeting deadlines and the requirements of the Shared Legal Service.
- Where relevant, to prepare and process all matters relevant to any proceedings before a court, arbitration, mediation or public inquiry and to attend such as the client's advocate or, if appropriate, select and instruct appropriate external legal representation.
- Supervise, and be responsible for the work of junior staff as required and to provide management and leadership to the staff working on their cases.
- Undertake duties on behalf of the Monitoring Officer for all five authorities.
- Keep clients informed of new legislation and case law relevant to their operations, including training seminars where appropriate and to ensure that they maintain a sound application of legal requirements.
- Advise upon, draft and approve committee reports in respect of cases and legal issues.
- Attend, advise and provide legal services to council Committees and Panels as are required.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Qualified legal executive, solicitor or barrister or chartered legal executive with a background in local government.
- Must have experience within Local Authority.
- A Childcare Lawyer with experience to hold a caseload without supervision.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good knowledge of relevant Childcare legislation and the decision making processes and procedures.
- Good understanding of current issues and best practice on service delivery relevant to the service area.
- Good and demonstrable analytical legal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond efficiently to the changing needs of the clients.
- Ability to be able to travel to attend client offices or courts wherever the client's case is being considered.
- Commitment to the principles of and development of the Shared Legal Service.
- Ability to contribute to the ongoing development of the Shared Legal Service.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing and good numeracy and analytical skills.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Childcare Lawyer – Corporate Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.