- Pay Rate:
£32.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- ISLINGTON, LONDON,
Interim Building Surveyor - Legal Disrepair
Reference no: Islington RQ844458
Pay rate £32.00 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Legal Repairs Surveyors will be responsible for overseeing an individual case load consisting of live disrepair claims, party wall awards, repair diagnostic cases and referrals from repairs teams. Surveyors will also be required to undertake training and acting in an advisory capacity for colleagues in the Technical Quality team, and will from time to time be required to give expert evidence in court. To deal with all technical aspects of cases received by the team effectively and efficiently. To carry out essential repairs, avoid liability from legal disrepair action whenever possible; alternatively where this is not possible ensure claims are effectively mitigated. Liase closely and establish good working relationships with lawyers in the Chief Executive's Directorate and other Repair sections
- To take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons / vulnerable adults with whom you come into contact with.
- Carry out site inspections and investigations, as necessary to produce detailed specifications of works using the national schedule of rates and composite values. Prepare estimates, feasibility studies, plans, sketches and drawings as may be necessary.
- As and when required provide technical support/advice to colleagues and give evidence in court as an expert witness.
- Assist the Senior Legal Repair Surveyor in the development of policies and procedures for the team.
- Work independently and manage a variable caseload.
- Be proficient in the correct diagnosis of building failures and to this end be competent in the use of devices, aids and instruments for the purpose of making assessments and diagnoses.
- Undertake quality assurance checks as and when required on repairs ordered and paid for by the Legal Repairs team.
- Take responsibility for party wall awards as required, including undertaking the necessary surveys and completing the necessary documentation.
- Possess a working knowledge of the relevant building contracts and related documentation. Take responsibility for ensuring that the existing contracts are administered in a professional manner and that the contractor complies with appropriate regulations and contract conditions.
- Have a good working knowledge of relevant legislation, codes of practice, legal documentation and court procedures
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- HND/C Building with demonstrable post qualification experience or BSc Building with post qualification experience
- Knowledge of Legal legislation in relation to Housing disrepair and ability to interpret legislation in application of legal repair works
- Working knowledge of the building industry codes of practice, measured term and building forms of contract, the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations and Statutory requirements applicable to the industry
- Good understanding of damp and structural issues
- Experience managing legal disrepair cases
- Social housing experience
- Ability to effectively manage a technical caseload within target deadlines
- Ability to prepare Bills of Quantity
- Ability to prepare work programmes, estimates, value work in progress and issue variations.
- Ability to prepare and certify interim and final payments to contractors
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Building Surveyor - Legal Disrepair
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.