- Pay Rate:
£24.38 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
Interim Building Control Surveyor
Reference no: Darlington 6337514802716
Pay Rate: £24.38 per hour PAYE
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
To be responsible for providing professional building control advice and carrying out appropriate enforcement of the Building Regulations. Provide a comprehensive Building Control Service to deliver a safe built environment outcome for the community.
- In a professional capacity, provide sound and timely guidance and make recommendations on allaspects of building works that fall within the scope of the Building Regulations in order to ensure that building and construction work is carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations. This includes:
- Advising and assisting members of the public by providing factual information on applications and their status.
- Process applications, assessing proposals against the regulations and relevant technical advice, check completions, check constraints and prepare and carry out consultations.
- Carry out site inspections of work in progress, make full and accurate records and where necessary follow up to their conclusion, including any enforcement action required.
- Carry out enforcement duties where approval has not been sought and the works being carried out are unauthorised.
- Check and approve submitted applications for Building Regulations compliance, forming fully justified decisions to approve or reject proposals.
- Carry out assessments of design calculations.
- Provide factual information, advice and guidance as required on the need for Building Regulation approval, the status of applications and issues raised or identified.
- Hold pre-submission discussions.
- Determine that the appropriate Building Regulation fees are charged for works that do not fall within the list of publicised building control fees for Darlington. This includes providing competitive individual determined fee quotations, issued in a professional and timely manner.
- Deal with reports of dangerous structures, attend the site of reported dangerous structures, make arrangements for the danger to be removed, authorise emergency work which could initially be at the expense of the Council, and implement relevant processes to ensure the safety of the public. This may include initiating legal action against the owner of the structure to have it made safe and have any costs incurred by the Council recovered.
- Organise, monitor, develop and deploy appropriate resources within the team as required and on a day to day basis direct the work, mentor and give guidance to the Building Control Technician, to assist them to carry out their duties in a competent manner and provide a co-ordinated delivery of service that is efficient and effective in line with Council strategic and service objectives.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of policy and other decisions of the Council and Departmental Management Team.
- Contribute to the management of relevant works programmes and advising on priorities and costs as appropriate.
- Work to achieve the relevant standards of performance and measures of efficiency to ensure that services are being effectively delivered
- Prepare reports on building control applications, policies, strategies to deliver approvals and advise other parties to enable stake holders to achieve building control compliance.
- Represent the Council to appropriate external bodies, including pre application meetings, at projects meetings or public meetings as required.
- Assist where necessary in the undertaking of surveys and research to establish the needs of the community and provide the Council with information to assist in the formulation of the Council’s policy and decisions.
- As and when necessary, deputise for the Building Control Manager.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Relevant Degree or equivalent qualification for Building Control
- Building Safety Competence Foundation competency validation or CABE competency validation to enable Building Safety Regulator registration to BSR Class 2 designation or ability to achieve within areasonable timeframe
- Chartered membership of the RICS/CABE/CIOB demonstrating building control experience aligned to a professional qualification pathway
- Knowledge and understanding of the Building Control and Planning Application process.
- Knowledge of Public Entertainment and Safety in Sports Ground legislation.
- Knowledge of Building Construction, procedures and associated legislation.
- Working knowledge of the Building Regulation procedures and associated legislation.
- Detailed understanding of the Building Safety Regulator and Building Safety Act
- Approx. five years post qualifying experience in Building Control
- Approx. one year’s recent experience of site work.
- Approx. three years’ experience of effectively engaging with members of the public, customers or builders.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to undertake the enforcement requirements of the role.
- Ability to assess structures reported to be dangerous and take the required steps to have the structure made safe.
- Ability to be able to present information in a logical and systematic manner, monitor understanding of others, develop approach and take corrective action if required.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing to a wide range of audiences (including ability to write clear and concise reports and presentations).
- Ability to understand information presented on plans.
- Able to handle ambiguous and uncertain situations, including sensitive policy area.
- Ability to use initiative and make decisions outside immediate policy and procedure, and without reference to manager.
- Ability to analyse information from a variety of sources, solve complex problems and think creatively and strategically.
- Ability to regularly give advice and guidance, including demonstrating duties, instructing and checking the work of others.
- Ability to perform under pressure to meet deadlines, plan and allocate tasks appropriately.
- Able to demonstrate negotiating, influencing and persuasive skills.
- IT Literate, capable of using MS Word / Excel and Office packages.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Building Control Surveyor
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.