- Pay Rate:
Up to £12.70 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6-7 months
- Bideford, Devon,
Temporary Benefits & Revenues Officer/Admin – Housing
Reference no: Torridge 5228702
Pay Rate: Up to £12.70 per hour PAYE depending on experience
This opening assignment is for 6-7 months
Hybrid working available
Pay rate negotiable for the right candidate
The purpose of the role is to ensure the timely and accurate assessment of claims and entitlements to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support and the billing and recovery of Council Tax administered by the Council.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the Housing Benefit Regulations, the Council Tax Support Scheme, Taxation Regulations and associated policies and procedures.
- Maintain timely and accurate records in relation to new and review claims for benefit/support.
- Maintain timely and accurate records in relation to all changes affecting entitlement to, and payment of benefit/support.
- Maintain timely and accurate council tax records in relation to all chargeable and exempt dwellings in the District, together with the liable person(s) and their indebtedness.
- Maintain timely and accurate records in relation to information supplied from whatever source connected with ensuring the correct entitlement to benefit/support, and the accurate charging, collection and recovery of tax.
- Have a skilled application of knowledge of the operation of computer systems for both disciplines.
- Ensure correct notifications, billing and recovery documents are forwarded to the customer in accordance with the regulations and the Council’s policies.
- Obtain, correctly interpret and record accurate information, which other officers rely on.
- Establish and process all methods of recovery of Housing Benefit and Council Tax overpayments and make arrangements to repay debts where appropriate.
- Undertake all benefit/support administration in accordance with the Regulations, Schemes and Council’s policies and procedures.
- Apply skill and judgement when decisions require a level of interpretation of the Regulations/Scheme and/or the customer’s circumstances are not obvious.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- GCSE’s including Maths and English Grade C or above, or equivalent and have relevant experience.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Current experience of working in an office environment or similar background.
- Current experience of working with the general public; face-to-face, via the telephone and written communication.
- Must be experienced in Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support administration.
- Experience of Academy computer system is essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Numerate and able to interpret statistical data.
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Benefits & Revenues Officer/Admin – Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.