- Pay Rate:
£19.31 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 14 months
Assistant Highways Service Manager
Reference no: Somerset TCL0006 E6CF / 1
Pay rate £19.31 per hour PAYE
Hybrid role - Flexible in terms of remote work but may require occasional visits to site
The post holder will contribute to the provision of a highway maintenance and management service to all stakeholders by applying a uniform and consistent approach to service level provision. As a key member of the group the post holder will be expected to promote the image of the County Council and embrace a culture of customer care to ensure successful delivery of a quality highway service in Somerset
- Main contact for all enquiries relating to highway maintenance and management issues. Contacts include (but are not limited to) all elected County Council members and staff, District Council members and staff, Parish Councils and the public (see attached proof documents). Manage expectations and adjust priorities in response to such enquiries.
- Attend County Council/District Council meetings where appropriate. The post holder will on most occasions be the sole representative of Economic and Community Infrastructure (ECI) and will therefore be required to respond to all highway maintenance issues. The role will also involve liaison and coordination with other ECI services to investigate and respond to relevant issues.
- Plan, prioritise and manage an annual programme of highway maintenance works to meet the serviceability, sustainability and safety needs of the highway network within the annual budget constraints, reprioritising and amending if appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Engineering Technician, produce clearly defined scheme briefs and solutions to the County Councils highway maintenance contractor for major structural maintenance schemes such as road reconstruction, resurfacing and drainage improvements, using innovative and sustainable methods. Approve the final designs.
- Provide approval, guidance and direction to the Highway Maintenance Contractor.
- Ensure the Highway Maintenance Contractor delivers the Service in accordance with the Contract.
- Direct line management of Highway Superintendents within the District-based area.
- Manage the performance of Superintendents, Technicians and other staff to achieve the outcome of a high performing localised service..
- Deputise for the Service Manager – Area Highways in all aspects of the role.
- Play a key role in developing policies, procedures and standards in relation to highway maintenance and management
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Detailed knowledge and expertise in highway engineering and legislation is required to provide technical and specialist knowledge to elected County Councillors, Parish Councils and so on
- An understanding of political, financial and environmental issues as they affect the service and the Directorate as a whole
- Proven post qualification experience within a highway-engineering environment or related industry
- Proven ability technically, professionally and managerially in the civil engineering field
- Ability to speak fluent English as stated in Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016)
- Ability as both a team leader and team member
- An ability to communicate effectively, orally, in writing and through use of presentational skills, to a broad range of audiences in the political, professional and non-professional arenas
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Assistant Highways Service Manager
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.