- Pay Rate:
£39.44 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
- Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside,
Interim Assistant Director Development Investment & Housing
Reference no: Tameside 0007 2BEE / 1
Pay Rate: £39.44 per hour PAYE
This opening assignment is for 5-6 months
The purpose of the role is to make a significant contribution to the Council’s inclusive growth vision by leading on the delivery of key regeneration and major development projects, accelerate housing growth, inclusive economic growth and employment and skills programmes.
Co-ordinate the strategic direction and management of the Council’s investment and development plans, policies, programmes and functions. To drive forward major regeneration programmes, inward investment, town centre and place making projects and housing developments that will increase Tameside’s economic vitality, deliver population health outcomes, link skills and training to employment opportunities and generate new income streams to help the sustainability of the Council.
- Take the lead on a range of key investment and economic development projects, and in the development procurement process, ensuring the delivery of strategic projects to quality, time and budget. Also ensuring that developments support the corporate plan and public service reform principles, meeting the requirements of the council’s Social Value Policy.
- Deputise for the Director of Growth at Single Leadership Team, Executive Board, Executive Cabinet and Combined Authority meetings as and when required.
- Lead on investment and development discussions with the GM Combined Authority to maximise funding, capacity and expertise to Tameside’s benefit, both from the CA and central government.
- Provide advice and information to the Director of Growth and appropriate Executive Members on all matters relating to investment, development, housing, major regeneration and capital programmes, ensuring that all relevant legal and statutory provisions are strictly observed.
- Oversee the co-ordination, development and delivery of the Council’s Housing Strategy and Delivery Plan, including implementation of major programmes, such as Godley Green Garden Village.
- Lead the development and delivery of major programmes, including the proposed Ashton Moss employment site, Hattersley Regeneration, Stalybridge, Droylsden and Hyde Town Centre regeneration programmes, ensuring external funding opportunities and private sector investment opportunities are maximised.
- Together with the Assistant Director Strategic Property, ensure the council and CCG land and property assets support the delivery of regeneration, economic growth, town centre revitalisation, health and housing, maximising capital receipts and new income streams.
- Work with the Assistant Director Planning to ensure developments achieve high standards of design and are environmentally sustainable.
- Together with the Head of Economy, Employment & Skills, develop and deliver an Inclusive Growth Strategy for Tameside, building on the work of the Greater Manchester Prosperity Review and supporting delivery of the Local Industrial Strategy, for the benefit of Tameside. With the support from external consultants, develop a sector led Inclusive Growth Strategy, which will provide more and better quality employment opportunities for Tameside residents.
- Support economic growth and attract new private inward investment into the borough, by helping to ensure that Tameside is a viable location for business to grow and relocate, supporting start-ups and social enterprises, through the Prosperous Economy Network.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Degree level qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. Surveying, Planning, Housing, Regeneration.
- Relevant professional qualification or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Leadership experience of delivering development, regeneration and housing services and major programmes.
- A track record of successfully delivering major housing and commercial developments through complex private/public sector delivery vehicles, on time and on budget, showing a well-developed and sophisticated appreciation of the strategic issues and challenges involved.
- Experience of delivering complex and locally sensitive major capital programmes in a political environment.
- Experience of delivering major developments with the private sector, public sector partners and third sector, through development agreements, JV’s, open book and green book appraisals.
- Substantial experience in both a strategic housing and housing delivery role and working with registered providers, housing developers and private rented sector landlords.
- Experience of building trust and confidence across organisational and sector boundaries.
- Experience of developing business networks and working with SME’s and international businesses.
- Experience of developing economic and housing strategies and plans.
- Evidence of having secured external funding to deliver economic and housing developments.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to translate broad objectives into tangible outcomes and activities.
- Have an understanding and appreciation of the wider impact of investment and development on local communities and sub-regional and regional partnerships including experience of sensitive situations involving a high degree of consultation.
- Excellent negotiating skills with the ability to influence decision makers at all levels within and external to the organisation.
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills and a proven ability to motivate individuals and teams.
- Ability to analyse complex issues, propose logical action, reconcile competing interest and provide practical and creative solutions through collaborative working.
- ICT Skills: Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Assistant Director Development Investment & Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.