- Pay Rate:
Up to £15.16 per hour PAYE, depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2 months
- LEAMINGTON SPA, Warwickshire,
Full Job Title: Temporary Assistant Accountant – Housing
Job Reference: Warwick 5220215
Pay Rate: Up to £15.16 per hour PAYE, depending on experience
To assist in the provision of a comprehensive accountancy service for a range of Service Areas within the Council and to assist the Principal Accountants with their responsibilities.
- Ensure that the relevant financial and non financial information is supplied to a range of Service Areas in accordance with agreed timetables and prepare detailed fees and charges and estimates reports under the direction of a Principal Accountant.
- Undertake a key role in the final accounts process, ensuring the integrity and accuracy of the information provided. Working within the final accounts timetable to meet deadlines. Working with Service Areas and supported by a Principal Accountant as appropriate.
- Responsibility for preparing other estimates and accounting for a range of budget heads that do not follow departmental lines e.g. insurances, NNDR, Corporate Repairs and Maintenance, Housing Revenue Account, support service recharges.
- Assist in maintaining the integrity of the General Ledger by ensuring that budgets, descriptions and codes are up to date and that accounts are reconciled and cleared when appropriate.
- Prepare monthly financial statements for managers. Monitor actual income and expenditure and assist manager’s forecast for the end of year position. Advise budget managers of possible under/over spending and work with them to resolve variances, undertaking further investigations as necessary This includes assisting in the preparation of monthly monitoring reports for SMT and Executive, based on information received from Managers, adhering to timescales.
- Prepare financial information and give advice to Service Areas and the Head of Finance/Strategic Finance Manager in relation to special projects. Attend departmental management meetings and report on financial matters as and when required
- Document systems and tasks as and when required and train finance and non finance staff in order that they can carry out their financial responsibilities as outlined in the Code of Financial Practice.
- Remain up to date with regard to financial requirements and arrangements and advise managers of all relevant changes, interpreting new guidance to enable a full understanding by staff.
- Completion of various statistical returns and grant claims in an accurate and timely manner in order to ensure that the Council complies with its obligations, both statutory and non statutory.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- AAT level experience
- Minimum of 5 years recent experience in local government finance, preferably within a similar role
- Extensive and varied work experience in finance and accountancy
- Knowledge and experience of using financial management systems.
- Competent at using and creating spreadsheets.
- Microsoft Office skills
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Other Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above – your CV must address the requirements listed
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Assistant Accountant – Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.