- Pay Rate:
£16.09 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
- Wembley, London,
Temporary Assessment Officer x 5 – Housing Benefits
Reference no: Brent 5234455
Pay Rate: £16.09 per hour PAYE
36 hours Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
City: Wembley, London
The candidates will be expected to work at the Civic Centre 1 day a week.
Basic DBS disclosure is listed as a requirement for this role
The purpose of the role is to assist customers by accurately determining their entitlement to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Resident Support Fund Assistance, Social Care financial assessments and concessionary travel or any other schemes the Council implement complying with legislation case law, guidance and Council Policy.
- Assess, review or reconsider entitlement to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Social Care financial assistance, Resident Support Fund or concessionary travel, in accordance with the current legislation and within targeted timescales, and via a variety of access channels. Check submitted forms and documentation and where necessary request further evidence in order to determine customers’ Benefit entitlement.
- Do everything possible to resolve customer contact at the first point of contact ensuring that customers receive a high quality service.
- Effectively resolve all claim types for customers by liaising with customers and their representatives, landlords, and other internal and external stakeholders including (but not limited to); The Department for Work and Pensions, Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs, Housing Department, Council Tax and Adult Social Care Team.
- Consider and determine applications for Discretionary Housing Payments and Resident Support Fund in line with Council policy and guidance. Carry out Benefits functions in relation to Universal Credit (administered by the DWP).
- Accurately assess entitlement to Housing Benefits and other forms of assistance including Council Tax Support by maintaining an extensive and up to date knowledge of the relevant IT systems, policy and procedures, regulations, case law and other associated welfare benefits
- Input and amend claims from Housing Benefit Matching Service (HBMS) and Verification of Earnings and Pensions (VEP) referrals (i.e. able to identify discrepancies and interpret data received from DWP and HMRC, identify correct codes, and able to make decisions on the outcome of HBMS).
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of Housing Benefit legislation, Council Tax Reduction / Support (local scheme), understanding of benefit subsidy issues and knowledge of other welfare benefits. To have an understanding of different tenancy types and related issues with regards to Housing Benefit entitlement. To make referrals to the Rent Service as appropriate.
- Identify, classify and take the necessary action with regards to overpayments of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support and Adult Social Care financial assistance in accordance with appropriate Council policies and regulations taking the appropriate recovery action, optimising income maximisation at all times.
- Undertake enquiries concerning entitlement to other welfare benefits using the link with the DWP Customer Information System.
- Undertake more complex benefit cases which include investigating and resolving customer disputes, considering backdating requests, deprivation/diminishing of capital cases, students, directors of limited companies etc.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Good standard of education including Maths and English at GCSE or equivalent.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Relevant experience using Northgate (NEC).
- Relevant Housing Benefit Assessing Experience.
- Knowledge of providing a customer focussed advice, information, enquiry, transactions and complaints handling in a demanding customer facing environment across various access channels (face to face, telephone, post and online).
- An understanding of Housing Benefits, Council Tax Support, Council Tax and Social Care Financial Assessments.
- Ability to understand the needs of a diverse range of customers, and a commitment to securing the best possible outcomes for them.
- Excellent decision-making skills and an ability to analyse problems to find solutions at the first point of contact.
- Ability to understand and assimilate information, analyse conflicting sources of information and make sound reasoned decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Assessment Officer x 5 – Housing Benefits
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.