- Pay Rate:
£18.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, 08:00 -16:15
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- SOUTHWARK, London,
Temporary Fleet Engineer -Engineering and Surveying
Reference no: Southwark 5217512
Pay rate: £18.00 per hour PAYE
Full, clean driving licence required for this role
To co-ordinate maintenance, servicing, modifications and inspections, including MOT and LGV tests on all vehicles operated by the Council’s fleet. Responsible for ensuring all vehicles operated by the Council remain road worthy and fully compliant with all relevant legislation including the rules governing Goods Vehicle Operation (Operators License) as administered by the Department of Transport.
- Responsible for the safe and lawful operation of the Council’s fleet of vehicles. This entails setting up and monitoring processes and policies that ensure all vehicle related issues are reported and acted upon.
- Arrange all maintenance requirements for the transport unit.
- Assist to put in place any systems, procedures, documentation etc. necessary to ensure the commercial fleet remains compliant with all legislative requirements and ensure that these new management tools are utilised by all relevant staff.
- Assess and discuss performance with the contractors. This entails the development and implementation of robust performance monitoring tools to assess compliance with contractual and statutory (Best Value) targets and to agree plans to resolve failures.
- Provide all Council Departments and individuals with vehicles they require in order to perform their duties. This includes providing expert advice on the suitability of vehicles as well as obtaining the best price available in the market.
- Assist in the ad-hoc hire of vehicles, check vehicle condition and report. Assist with vehicle changeovers.
- Assist with maintaining that all requirements are met to protect the “O” licence, prompt drivers, request vehicle for service, inspections and MOTs in accordance with the service schedule.
- Carry out driving assessments and licence checks for new drivers, ascertain risk on behalf of the council.
- Ensure that driver operators are aware of reporting procedures for defects and accidents, to confirm that they are aware of their legal obligations and that fleet services are there to support them
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Experience in co-ordinating fleet maintenance, servicing and inspections is essential for this role.
- Experience of effective operational management of a fleet service essential.
- A full, clean driving licence is required.
- Ability to schedule activities, collate data and use basic, job-related equipment.
- Flexible approach to work.
- Problem solving skills with ability to display mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively by telephone, in writing and face to face.
- Good attention to detail skills.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Fleet Engineer -Engineering and Surveying
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.