- Pay Rate:
£17.06 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
- TAUNTON, Somerset,
Temporary Finance Manager – Education Services
Reference no: Somerset TCL0006 B568 / 1
Pay rate: £17.06 per hour PAYE
Please note that the pay rate for this role is likely to be uplifted to reflect a higher than standard holiday allocation
To provide financial advice and support to budget holders in Education and SEN Inclusion Services. To offer financial advice, supporting the drive for change and efficiency, and provide challenge as necessary. Manage a team of 5 individuals, who collectively provide budget monitoring and forecasting (financial modelling) for the Education and Inclusion managers to enable them to make good financial decisions.
- Understand, interpret and issue guidance on the impact of frequent legislative changes on processes and support the Service Manager in devising innovative local solutions, systems and policies.
- Support the Service Manager and budget holders/administrators with medium term financial planning by identifying and quantifying the data required, analysing trends and forecasts and discussing needs with service and group managers.
- Investigate and respond to specific questions from senior officers and/or members of the public.
- Prepare information required for committee reports or briefing notes.
- Review budgets with Managers/Budget holders, providing support, guidance, advice and challenge as required.
- Provide and interpret financial and statistical analyses to Group Managers/Budget holders to determine past and current trends and support outturn forecasting.
- Analyse trading accounts and forecasting outturn surpluses or highlight any likely deficits.
- Provide and interpret benchmarking information and identify performance measures that can be linked to costs, based on service knowledge.
- Attend appropriate financial meetings to report on financial performance and identify current and future spending pressures and areas of concern.
- Support Managers/Budget holders in the preparation of their revenue budgets, addressing key areas of concern that will impact on service delivery.
- Provide financial advice and support when establishing new areas of budget responsibility, for example, the creation of new trading units or teams.
- Compile information and analysis to inform reports to Operations Directors and the Lead Commissioner, liaising with budget holders to confirm supporting material and data.
- Manage the input of budget information into corporate systems in accordance with agreed timetables, coding conventions and reconciling to control totals. Ensure entries to corporate publications such as the County Council Budget Book are accurate and that budget holders are aware of the monetary constraints they are working within.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Accounting Technician qualification (AAT – NVQ level 4) or relevant experience in a finance environment.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Experience and a high level of knowledge of issues surrounding local government finance and understanding of other related service areas and issues.
- Experience of working with Education or Inclusion services and experience of the High Needs Block within the Dedicated Schools Grant (DSG) an advantage.
- Clear understanding and experience of the responsibilities within which a local authority must operate, including statutory requirements.
- A demonstrable track record and consistent achievement at a senior management level within an organisation of comparable scope and complexity.
- Detailed understanding / knowledge of medium term financial planning and the integration between service and financial planning.
- Able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the legislation, agreements and codes of practice affecting local government finance and accounting, and the ability and vision to deal positively with the challenges raised by these.
- Experience and knowledge of defining and implementing treasury management strategies and practices.
- Relevant local government experience and understanding of the whole local government sector and its current challenges.
- Able to make decisions on matters relating to the (whole service or number of services) and provide Councils, Members and external partners with clear advice and recommendations.
- Able to demonstrate a strategic thinking capacity and be pro-active in developing and implementing continuous improvement across the service.
- Numerate and analytical with the ability to interpret, analyse and extract relevant information from complex reports and translate these so that they are capable of being understood by a wide range of people.
- Able to prepare and present reports on Financial Services and related matters to non-experts in a clear and comprehensible manner.
- Ability to lead, motivate, enthuse, inform, and develop people, both reporting directly to the post holder, and those in other services.
- Ability to lead a team of up to five, directly line managing up to two Accounting Technicians. Wide range of management skills – able to deploy resources and staff, manage change and respond flexibly.
- Maintain and develop excellent working relationships with other groups within and outside the Service to ensure that financial implications and issues are identified early and positive recommendations are made to resolve issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills demonstrating the ability to consult, influence and negotiate with a wide range of people at a senior level both inside and outside of the Council.
- Ability to manage using objectives, targets, performance management, problem solving and project/programme management.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite) and ability to use spreadsheets.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Finance Manager – Education Services
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.