- Pay Rate:
Up to £17.44 per hour PAYE depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
14-20 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
- DORCHESTER, Dorset,
Temporary PT Tree Officer – Conservation Planning
Reference no: Dorset 5223418
Pay rate: Up to £17.44 per hour PAYE depending on experience
Full driving licence required
A Tree Officer is required work within the Conservation team providing input to the planning service for the Council. This primarily involves providing specialist tree advice regarding Tree Work applications and development management applications with experience of tree work applications and undertaking consultations on planning applications.
Experience of tree preservation orders, conservation areas and other planning controls is required, and the ability to write reports and use digital mapping system plotting. Knowledge of tree amenity and landscape principles is essential for this role as is the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
- Process and make recommendations on tree work applications.
- Assess, negotiate and process tree work applications, undertaking site visits, site appraisals and site research for planning applications.
- Enter into negotiations with applicants on tree work applications keeping stakeholders, including elected members, updated on tree work applications and make recommendations and compile delegated and committee reports.
- Undertake appraisals and negotiation of planning applications in relation to trees, planting schemes and / or tree species selection and maintenance, and advise planning officers of the implications of development proposals upon tree matters.
- Monitor arboricultural protection measures on development sites and make recommendations on the making and updating of Tree Preservation Orders and compile reports on Hedgerow removal notices.
- Provide advice through the pre-applications process for both tree works and within the planning process.
- Represent the Council’s case in relation to tree and landscape matters for planning appeals and tree work applications appeals.
- Compile appeal statements, including those for written representations and informal hearings, and attend appeal site visits.
- Process and make recommendations on High Hedge applications and gather evidence and take appropriate action with regard to alleged breaches under relevant planning legislation including TPOs, conservation areas and breaches of planning conditions. Liaise with enforcement officers in development management who will be the overall lead in enforcement cases.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Level 2 or above Arboricultural qualification, degree or equivalent experience.
- Level 4 Arboricultural qualification, degree or equivalent experience desirable.
- Membership of a relevant professional body, or be working towards it.
- Commitment and evidence of undertaking continuous personal and professional development in order to keep up with changes in national policy and best practice.
- Experience of tree preservation orders, conservation areas and other planning controls is essential.
- Ability to write reports and use digital mapping system plotting.
- Experience of providing advice on development management applications and working on more complex cases in addition to making recommendations on tree work applications desirable.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of tree amenity and landscape principles is essential.
- Ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
- Ability to write reports and use digital mapping system plotting.
- Effective time management with ability to meet deadlines.
- Able to follow procedures, evaluate problems and identify practical solutions.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
PT Tree Officer – Conservation Planning
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.