- Pay Rate:
£24.01 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
- WOOLWICH, London,
Interim Payroll Operations Manager - Payroll Service
Reference no: Greenwich RQ1186879
Pay rate: £24.01 per hour PAYE
Hours per week: 35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months
City: WOOLWICH, London
Office based role
A Payroll Operations Manager is required to be responsible for ensuring the Payroll Service operates the processes and procedures required to ensure there is adequate financial control and to efficiently deliver the Payroll Services. To ensure the on-going operation of the service in an effective and efficient manner and its compliance with legislative and Council Policy and develop strong relationships with a range of services/organisations including the HR Service, the Pension Service and the external Bodies for whom the payroll service provides payroll services.
- Act as the Council’s lead officer on the operational aspects of the Council’s Payroll Service’s process and procedures, ensuring that current knowledge of the area of responsibility is maintained. Work with colleagues across the Council and external bodies to ensure that the systems and processes within the Service are operated in a manner that they are compliant with legislation and Council policy and deliver the service in the most efficient manner.
- Ensure that the work of the service is coordinated and delivered in an efficient manner, setting clear objectives for the service. This includes ensuring that over 10,000 staff are paid accurately and on time and the Council meets its statutory requirements including all information returns to HMRC.
- Ensure the operation of the sound financial controls required under financial procedures is embedded within the operation of the service. This includes appropriate levels of authorisations are followed.
- Ensure within the Operational Service that feedback on queries and initial complaints are dealt with in a professional manner.
- Ensure the Payroll Services is provided in accordance with the Council’s commitment to high quality service provision to users.
- Be aware of relevant accounting and taxation legislation affecting payroll, and ensure they are being applied correctly in the operational environment.
- Ensure irregularities identified are investigated and reported to Corporate Anti-Fraud if appropriate. Attend court on such cases if required.
- Undertake walkthrough testing in response to requests from external and internal auditors. Be responsible for implementing audit recommendations relating to the Service.
- Support the Payroll Service Development Manager in the specification of requirements for the system that delivers the Payroll Services, including ensuring all releases are fully tested.
- Work with the Payroll Service Development Manger to ensure that processes and procedures in place mean the Service achieves best practice.
- Oversee staff performance, attendance and absenteeism management so ensuring that the team efficiently uses its staff resources.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
Experience & Knowledge:
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Experience of dealing with sensitive and contentious cases including complaints.
- Management experience within a payroll operational team, including management of staff, payroll administration processing, including all variety of payments, statutory, legislator including all calculations and checking.
- Experience of working with a wide range of external organisations and internal departments in respect of Payroll administration desirable.
- Experience of using the iTrent payroll system desirable.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Payroll Legislation, HMRC and data protection requirements.
- Knowledge of relevant accounting and taxation legislation affecting payroll, and ensure they are being applied correctly in the operational environment.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent numeracy, literacy and IT skills including Microsoft office.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with a range of services/organisations.
- Ability to plan and prioritise own and others workload to ensure an effective and efficient payroll service, delivering to key operational and legislative deadlines without compromising accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, dealing with a diverse range of stakeholders.
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Payroll Operations Manager - Payroll Service
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.