- Pay Rate:
£18.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday to Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- TRURO, Cornwall,
Temporary Building Surveyor / Architectural Technician
Reference no: Cornwall 5239022
Pay rate: £18.00 per hour PAYE
Hours per week: 37 Monday to Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
City: TRURO, Cornwall
A Building Surveyor/Architectural Technician is required to work throughout Cornwall to support the delivery of adaptations for disabled clients through Disabled Facilities Grants Policy. The successful applicant will preferably have proven previous experience of dealing with disabled adaptations. Projects can include ground floor bedroom and bathroom extensions/alterations, internal reconfigurations, through to access works including external lifts and ramping, safety works such as levelling gardens to form patio, car parking or safety play area and fencing.
- Provide technical advice, assistance to team members and support to people with disabilities requiring home adaptations.
- Visit clients in their homes, providing the required level of advice and information relating to building work.
- Identify property defects and solutions, prepare (or arrange to prepare) surveys, identify hazards in the home utilising the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS), to give advice on whether work to a property is technically possible, prepare schedules of work, detailed specifications and drawings as appropriate.
- Prepare preliminary costings, procure work via tendering process and ensure value for money for evaluating preferred solutions.
- Review and update the procurement processes, advising the service on suitability and performance of contractors for specific types of work.
- Ensure appropriate contractual documentation is entered into between the client and builder and to represent the client in negotiating with contractors on site.
- Advise the team on technical matters, including Building Regulations, Planning Permission and Building Contracts, Party Wall Act, Health & Safety issues etc
- Administer the contracts for works, instruct contractors and monitor the quality of workmanship
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Relevant professional or technical qualification and membership of a relevant professional body or equivalent experience.
- NVQ Level 4/ HNC/ HND/ City & Guilds in a relevant subject such as Building Surveying.
- Successful experiences of giving advice to and building relationships with senior managers, colleagues, clients and contractors. Experience of financial control, health and safety standards, risk management controls and principles of project and maintenance management.
- Experience of contract management practices, procedure and policy preparation, development and gaining acceptance from colleagues and senior managers including delivery of best practice techniques, contractual methods and standards.
- Up to date experience of property surveys, tender preparation, and negotiation, contract administration, quality and cost control.
- Competent use of AutoCAD LT for preparing drawings, schedules and specifications for building work, to building control and planning regulation standards.
- Experience of working with older people and people with disabilities and preferably experience of providing adaptations for people with disabilities.
- Ability to take a project from initial design brief, undertake feasibility surveys, preparation of schedules of work, cost analysis, overseeing work on site with Clerk of Works style visits, through to completion including sign off.
- Demonstrable understanding of building regulations, codes of practice, associated standards and industry guidelines. A good understand of The Building Control Regulations, in particular reference to Doc M, and have undertaken full Planning Applications.
- Keep up to date with changes in technology and guidance from clg, lacors etc.
- Knowledge and ability to undertake inspections of private sector properties. It is desirable to have a knowledge of the housing health & safety rating system (HHSRS).
- A comprehensive knowledge of building and planning regulations, building pathology, disabled facility grant policy, housing construction, current building practices especially with regard to disabled adaptations, remedial and renovation work.
- An understanding of the CDM 2015 regulations.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to negotiate with contractors on complex issues and develop productive working relationships with senior individuals.
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake clerk of works / project management responsibilities and produce record documents. an understanding of the cdm 2015 regulations, especially the principal designer role which the applicant will be undertaking.
- Competent in the use of AutoCAD LT, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel.
- The normal duties of the role may involve travel on a regular or occasional basis. It is a condition of employment that the role holder can exercise satisfactory travel mobility in order to fulfil the obligations of the role. For those journeys where an alternative form of transport is unavailable or impracticable the role holder will be required to provide a suitable vehicle.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Building Surveyor / Architectural Technician
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.