- Pay Rate:
£18.82 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
- WIRRAL, Merseyside,
Temporary Housing Standards Officer - Housing
Reference no: Wirral RQ741212
Pay rate: £18.82 per hour PAYE
Car driver with valid license and insurance or ability to travel throughout the Borough
Requirement to work evenings and/or weekends on occasions
Responsible for improving housing standards across the Borough by working pro-actively, providing advice and guidance, undertaking property inspections and enforcement activity to reduce hazards in a range of housing types in the private sector. With a passion to drive up standards, this role will require generic working across all private sector housing disciplines including selective licensing, mandatory licensing of houses of multiple occupation, property accreditation, the delivery of financial assistance products to improve housing and bringing back into use long term empty properties.
- Inspect dwellings for hazards, provide advice and take relevant enforcement action to rectify defects, issue Selective and/or Mandatory HMO licenses, investigate and take action to bring empty properties back into use.
- Improving housing standards across the Borough by working both proactively and reactively, undertaking property inspections using the Health and Safety Rating System, providing advice and guidance to property owners and tenants about property conditions, and undertake any necessary enforcement/prosecution activity under Housing Legislation.
- Work across the full range of housing standards services including HMOs and mandatory HMO licensing, empty properties and the private rented sector and contribute to strategies to secure targeted improvements to the most vulnerable residents through area-based regeneration initiatives, such as Selective Licensing & other partnership-based projects including master planning.
- Administer a range of financial assistance to remedy poor housing conditions.
- Understand and apply relevant legislation, national standards, and local policies such as licensing or property accreditation to improve housing standards in Wirral.
- Provide access to information and training to landlords and developers by facilitating forums, seminars, and training events. Attend meetings with residents and local politicians to facilitate improvements in housing conditions and property management.
- Work in partnership with other Council sections such as Legal Services, the Anti-Social Behaviour Team, and Housing Options; public partners such as Registered Providers; private partners such as landlords, agents and contractors and voluntary sector groups such as CAB to ensure continued improvement in housing standards.
- Attend Court, Property Tribunals and Local Public Inquiries as necessary in connection with enforcement work to deal with property conditions.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Housing, Building, Environmental Health or Regeneration Qualification or training.
- Completion of recognised training on assessment of properties under HHSRS.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Detailed technical knowledge of housing construction, enforcement, and financial assistance.
- Awareness of incentives which exist to improve housing and make better use of homes.
- Awareness of Government policies and priorities relating to housing standards.
- Ability to manage a caseload of varied work, set priorities and work to own initiative.
- Experience of preparing schedules of work, procuring works, analysing costs, and supervising implementation.
- Experience of multi-agency working with public, private, and voluntary sector.
- Experience in developing and managing projects relating to improving housing standards.
- Experience of community involvement to improve service delivery or contribute to area-based initiatives.
- Able to work outside traditional hours, of a weekend and evening as required, adopting an agile working approach in response to business requirements.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Housing Standards Officer - Housing
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.