- Pay Rate:
up to £12.78 per hour PAYE, depending on experience
- Hours per Week:
29 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- Coalvlle, Leicestershire,
Temporary Democratic Services Officer P/T- Admin & Clerical
Reference no: NW Leicestershire 5218944
Pay Rate: up to £12.78 per hour PAYE, depending on experience
Note: Available to work in the evening on average one day a week.
The post-holder will as part of the Democratic Services Team, work with experienced colleagues to provide support to local authority meetings, elected members , elections and electoral registration.
- Service meetings ensuring that agendas are collated and published in line with the statutory and constitutional processes.
- Provide support to elected members and colleagues maintaining the Cabinet's Executive Decision Notice and Council Forward Plan
- Ensure that meetings are properly conducted, complying with statutory requirements, rules of debate and constitution, and are managed so that information is clearly presented, official business properly handled and co-ordinated, and decisions properly recorded and communicated Members' Register of Interests up to date
- Provide advice and guidance on the constitutional processes in relation to democratic services
- Be a part of a team where a culture of excellent customer
- Assist the team in a number of duties, as required, during election periods
- Work effectively with elected members as appropriate.
“Specific Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
Experience & Knowledge / Technical skills
- Good understanding of political processes and experience of dealing with politically sensitive issues and of working with senior officers and elected members.
- Experience in the servicing of a range of council meetings.
- Experience of effective staff management
- Good understanding of political processes and of working with officers and elected members
- Knowledge and understanding of the legislative framework and political processes relating to the role
- Experience of using a committee management system (e.g. ModernGov)
- Knowledge and understanding of the legislative framework and political processes relating to elections
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to update the teams Sharepoint and Website pages and create e-forms if required.
- Excellent written communication skills to formulate reports, minutes and other documentation.
- Able to build and maintain rapport with a varying range of people at all levels
- Able to work effectively and diplomatically with officers, members and the public in a range of difficult situations
- Able to organise and prioritise work and to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Able to work effectively both corporately and as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and establish rapport with officers, members and stakeholders
- Highly developed IT skills, especially spreadsheet and word
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to work calmly under pressure
- Initiative, flexibility and ability to handle change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to produce accurate summaries of meetings, events and conversations
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Democratic Services Officer P/T- Admin & Clerical
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.