- Pay Rate:
£33.30 per hour PAYE (tbc)
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 12 months
- CROYDON, Surrey,
Interim Project Engineer x3 - Engineering & Surveying
Reference no: Croydon 6858-1
Pay rate: £33.30 per hour PAYE (tbc)
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 12 months
Note: the pay rate is provisional only and the ad will be amended with the confirmed rate, once received.
To provide professional and technical support and advice to the Senior Engineer, elected members, internal departments and the public to support the delivery of the Council’s statutory duties and corporate priorities in one or more of the following areas: highways structures, drainage, traffic engineering, highways and road safety.
- Assist senior staff with the delivery of complex engineering schemes and projects and lead on delegated projects and schemes. Assist with the commissioning of external contractors/consultants and manage appointed contractors’ performance.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders, residents and council officers and ensure that appropriate consultation is conducted for schemes.
- Provide professional engineering advice on less complex Highways Engineering projects to elected members, internal departments and the public.
- Provide professional support to senior staff with: the investigation of engineering problems and issues; preparation of reports, feasibility studies, options and cost estimates; detailed designs, safety audits and contract documentation; supervision of scheme delivery.
- Lead on the delivery of delegated schemes and projects, including problem solving, report writing, creation of designs and delivery, under guidance of senior staff.
- Keep accurate records of projects, schemes and completed works and update statutory Highways records as appropriate.
- Assist with financial management and monitoring of budgets and projects and assist and prepare estimates.
- Raise task orders, measure works and assist authorise accounts and invoices.
- Assist senior staff in the preparation of consultant briefs, contracts for works, and completion of tender processes for complex projects and schemes. Prepare consultant briefs and manage the tender process for less complex projects and schemes.
- Supervise the delivery of commissioned projects and schemes to ensure consultation/contractor performance to contract specification.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Experience of inspection, assessment, design and delivery of engineering projects and schemes.
- Experience of interrogation and analysis of engineering data.
- Solid traffic engineering experience.
- Auto CAD experience and working knowledge.
- Experience of supervising contracts and term contractors.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Sound engineering knowledge in area of specialism.
- Knowledge and understanding of specialist area of engineering and associated IT systems, applications and packages.
- Knowledge of use of engineering contracts for delivery of works.
- Appreciation of performance management and quality in service delivery.
- Appreciation of legal agreements and their use to secure improvements to the borough’s infrastructure including its economic development and regeneration.
- Ability to investigate, analyse, design and deliver engineering schemes.
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team, using initiative to achieve set deadlines and manage conflicting priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Appreciation of implications of the Council’s sustainability agenda in service delivery.
- Ability to conform to and deliver service within the Council’s Equal Opportunities and Customer Care policies.
- Interest in keeping up to date with technical, legislative and professional developments.
- Appreciation of key health and safety issues and risks and how to minimise and mitigate.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Project Engineer x3 - Engineering & Surveying
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.